Reload this Page >

Yellowstone - Labor Day?

Search

Yellowstone - Labor Day?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Shelly

Yellowstone - Labor Day?

We are planning our first trip to Yellowstone (no kids) and were wondering if anyone knew if crowds were a factor for Labor Day weekend. We are planning a week long vacation and were curious about that first week in September. Thanks!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Kathy

I'm not sure about Labor Day weekend but we were there the weekend prior to Labor Day this past year and the crowds were definitely less than they are during the earlier part of the summer. It's my understanding that late August and early Sept. are lighter for crowds than the summer.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Bob Brown

I have been in Yellowstone twice on Labor Day. Plan it just like any other day at peak season; it is no different.
Perphaps some of the students have gone home. Many colleges on the early semester plan start class before Labor Day, so a lot of the college students who normally work through the summer are long gone. Also, many of the Ranger led activities are gearing down.
But the tour buses are still rolling and the crowds are no less obvious around the major attractions.
The weather in early September is still gorgeous, so I have never perceived any major slackening of the crowds in the immediate post Labor Day period.
One suggestion I have is this: if you want to see the geysers in relative solitude, go early in the morning.
One of the most spectacular geysers is Lone Star. The fact that seeing it requires a 4.5 mile round trip walk filters out the huge crowds, and those who do go are geyser lovers. Also, geysers like Riverside and Daisy are well away from Old Faithful, so you can watch them in relative quiet. There will be people there, but usually those who wait for the eruption are there because they planned to be there to see the geyser.
Grand Geyser is just that grand, but it is so well known that people start to gather about an hour before the mid point of the 4 hour eruption window.
None the less, go see it. I find the crowd adds to the enjoyment, particularly when you have an enthusiastic bunch that starts applauding the geyser. It makes it fun.

As for the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, I suggest parking in the lot near the Uncle Tom Trail that is really a catwalk down to a view point of the falls. Then walk along the rim trail to many lovely overlooks.
I usually turn back before I get all the way to Artist Point and retrace my steps.
The canyon changes colors with the movement of the sun in an ever changing palette. That gorgeous red color and the rich golden tones always look good, even on cloudy days. There will be a few people on the trail, but I find that I usually have uncontested views both of the falls and the canyon.

For wildlife viewing along the Yellowstone River and Hayden Valley, there will be people, but usually the viewers are spread out. If there is something so see, you will know it.

The only place where I recall where I thought the crowds at times were oppressive was along the Firehole River drive. It is tight and narrow. It does not take many vehicles to clutter it up. If you want to take that scenic drive, do it early, or about an hour before sunset.

Another drive that is fun, is to leave Yellowstone via the Northeast gate and drive up to the top of the Beartooth Pass, even a little beyond. Then turn around at descend by the same route.
Once down, take the road to Cody -- the Chief Joseph Highway. It is paved all the way and winds through the Aboraka range and reveals some gorgeous mountain scenery. From Cody, drive back to Yellowstone through the east gate. The road goes into the main park areas by way of the lake and you see some lovely countryside. That side of the park is beautiful, too, even it lacks thermal features.

I think you will enjoy your visit at that time of year. I know I have.
There is so much to see and do that I am starting to get the urge to make my resevations for this summer right now!!
I had planned on going elsewhere because I was there last May, but start me writing about it and the urge to visit becomes almost overwhelming.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Bob Brown

PS. There will be a full moon about September 21 this year. If you are there within 3 or 4 days of the full moon, there is still plenty of moonlight. One of the most thrilling things I have done is to go watch some of the big geysers, like Castle or Grand, erupt by moonlight. Grand is especially beautiful when the light of a full moon is turning the spray into silver. Of course it helps to have your best girl friend along. Riverside Geyser is nice, too, particularly if a great horned owl decides to serenade you while waiting there in the trees along the Firehole River.
It adds to the mystery and romantic atmosphere, particularly when the geysers starts to play and the moon reflects off of the mists.
I can guarantee you that there will not be many people there, and those who are are more interested in the geyser and each other!! If the evening is a little chilly, so much the better. Makes for good snuggling.
So what if it is 2 Am, you haven't forgotten when you were 21, I hope.
I haven't; I just don't pop out of bed at 9 AM after 6 hours sleep like I did then.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Shelly

Bob, thanks for all of the wonderful information! It's funny that you say that about the full moon...our second option is to go the third full week of August and there is a full moon on the 22nd. I think that I'm leaning more towards that time frame. Thanks again!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Bob Brown

The mountain range is the Absaroka!
I did not mean to butcher the spelling that badly! The accent is on the sar part, by the way.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Dayle

Hi Shelly! Interestingly, we visited the Tetons/Yellowstone this past August just the few days right before Labor Day weekend. I have NEVER seen either park so empty & I've been there many times. The rangers said that the family/driving travelers are already home preparing for back to school & the fall travelers don't start until after Labor Day. However, the price of gas this past summer did have a large impact too.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Howard

The crowds are thinned. The weather is glorious. And trees are starting to assume their beautiful colors of fall.
Make you spend time in the Grand Tetons as well.