Search

yellowstone in april

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2016, 09:25 PM
ih
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellowstone in april

Plan to visit yellowstone for 3 days and glacier national park for 2 days.

I have gone thru all details of park road opening. I know we cannot predict mother nature however based on the past is this doable. I have driven in snowy conditions in lake tahoe and yosemite hence would like to know if this drive is possible.

1.Arrive bozeman on 15th April and and spend 3 nights between Gardiner and West yellowstone. Will hire a rental car and visit the park. Can we see old faithful and grand prismatic, lamar valley.

2. What else can we see?

3. Any way i can visit grand teton?

4. Drive to Glacier national park -if its a highway i assume it will be maintained.I plan to fly out from there to Seattle.

Any suggestion is welcome.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 03:47 AM

April is too early to visit the park by car (other than the Mammoth area). There may be snowcoach tours to Old Faithful from Mammoth. The roads through the park south to Teton will not be open; you would have to enter Grand Teton from Jackson. Although Glacier is open, Going to the Sun Road will only be partly open.
If you could push your trip back to later in May, your options would be better, but even then bad weather and closures are very possible.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 07:19 AM

I see that some roads are scheduled to open April 15, if the weather permits (Mammoth to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; Norris to Canyon). If so, you could visit Norris Geyser Basin enroute to Old Faithful.

It will be too late for snowcoach tours, and too early for nearly all the facilities.

We've been a number of times in the fall and once in the winter - would like to visit in the spring as well. Not quite this early, though.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 09:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't do Yellowstone and I definitely wouldn't do Glacier at that time.

Why not go when you can see and enjoy the parks?

Go earlier for a Yellowstone winter experience or later when all the roads are open?

Personally able to drive in snow doesn't help when roads are closed.