Yellowstone/GTNP/Glacier Trip - Camera/Binoculars Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, lodging, flights, vehicle all booked. Got new smaller bags and sent large toiletries to first hotel.

Now, I need advice on camera and binoculars. My camera (digital w 4X zoom) does not do well on long distance shots. I am thinking of getting one w 10 X zoom. However, I don't want a heavy one.

I need reading glasses to see the lcd (or whatever it is named) display clearly on my digital camera and all the small lightweight ones I have looked at.

I looked at a the digital SLR that has a view finder (wrong name?) that seems to work better for me. I was able to see things clearly (only w the viewfinder thing not on the lcd screen).

However, the digital SLC is a lot larger, heavier and more expensive.

What do other people do when they need reading glasses and want to take photos? I only recently started needing the reading glasses. And it has taken the joy away from photography. Taking glasses on and off is annoying and takes so long I miss the shot anyway.

I don't want to wear glasses all the time.
I wear contacts for distance and manage well for most things. I have reading glasses, noline bifocals and top no RX/bottom reading glasses to wear with my contacts. They all are less than great for photography.

Do the digital SLR w/ adj viewfinder cameras work for anyone else who needs reading glasses? I only tried one at a store and wonder if it will really work in real life. Is there something else that works better?

Now, for binoculars, I have some 8 X cheapie ones that are not a lot better than nothing. I looked at some higher X ones that were better, yet a lot heavier.

Who takes them on day hikes? Does anyone know of any that are light weight and 10 X or better? If so, where might I get them (brand, store, etc.)? Is it worth taking the heavy ones? I noticed the ones with larger lenses (at the end away from the eyes)provide a lot better view.

I am not a tech expert by any means.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
J62

I have a Canon S3 digital camera. It is 6MB, so very high image quality, and has 12X optical zoom.

I got it a few mo ago for about $300 from Amazon and took over 1000 pictures on a recent trip to Europe.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 04:40 PM

The Canon S3 Is also has Image Stabilizion which is very important when you get those long zoom shots. I would also recommend this camera. It has a large LCD that is pretty easy to see. The view finder is digital so may be a bit difficult for some but I have never had a problem and I wear glasses. Would recommend a couple 1GB memory cards since the one that comes with new cameras is very small (less photos). Also recommend two sets of rechargeable AA batteries and charger.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 04:47 PM

There are all sorts of prices for this camera listed on the web. Do a Goggle search by the camera's name & model. Watch out for the sellers since some do not rate very well. Here's one site that includes free shipping for $279:
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...SS3&sku=CNPSS3
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

J62,

Thanks for the info.

LarryT,

Thanks for the info and the details.

I prefer the AA batteries and have a charger. I will look at this camera.

Any other opinions?
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 05:19 PM

When are you leaving for this trip?
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Trip is in Sept.

Any advice?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:22 AM

I'm assuming you mean Sept. 2007. Be aware that Glacier Park will close Going to the Sun Road Sept. 17 for major construction.. The road will be opened only to Avalanche Creek on the west side and only to Siyeh Bend on the east side. Logan pass will NOT be accesible.
Weather here this week is mild with temps. in the high 70s during the day and 50s in the evening with most smoke from nearby wild fires cleared out. cleared out by
Shuttle busses last day will be Sept. 7.