Help on camera

May 14th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Help on camera

My hubby was the expert on cameras, he now is in the beginning stages of Alzheimers. We are going on Safari in Sept and I want to make sure I have everything I need to do the best job. I am taking a class in June, but you all seem to know the best. We have a Sony Cyber-Shot 3X optical zoom digital camera with 5.1 Mega Pixels, it also says "smart zoom" I will talk to the camera shop, but would appreciate your opinions too.

Since this will be probably our last long trip would like great pics--am willing to buy another camera--but am curious if I can just add a zoom to this one?

Any help would be appreciated
May 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Siesta Linda,

I would advise you to upgrade your camera. The easiest thing to do would be to stick with a "point and shoot" camera rather than fussing with a DSRL camera.

Sony just came out with a very affordable 12x zoom, 5.1 Megapixel digital camera, that is retailing for only $499. Here is the link to copy and paste:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...DigitalCameras

Now, just wondering...your husband does not have any wandering issues does he? It would not be a good thing if he were to wander from the lodge / camp for even one moment, due to the presence of wildlife. My wife and I own and operate three Alzheimer care homes in Pasadena (CA) so that thought did immediately pop into mind.
May 14th, 2005, 12:59 PM
sandi

SiestaLinda - I am not familiar with your current camera, but whether a zoom can be added, would best come from a professional. Stop into your local camera shop.

If, not, and you decide to go for a new camera that provides added zoom capabilities and don't want to spend the $500 for the Sony 12X Optical (plus all the extras), that Roccco mentions, you might consider a Fuji 10X Optical. I just purchased the Fuji S5100 costing $285 (plus the extras) totallig less then $500. And for the trial photos I've taken just to become familiar with the camera - it's practically idiot proof.

I purchased the Fuji from B&H photo in NYC, and while there are a number of 10X Opticals on the market, the price for the Fuji from B&H met my needs. B&H has a website and they do ship. Check out the B&H site at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=RootPage.jsp

And, if you're interested in a site that reviews all digital cameras, as well as, names of places where this or any other digital camera can be purchased (closer to where you live), check Steve's Digicams at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Hope this information helps.

May 14th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks guys for info, Roccco, bless you for taking care of AD patients, not an easy job.

Actually my husband has Frontotemporal dementia--he is now into the Shadowing stage--bad news he sticks to me like flypaper--good news when we travel he never ever leaves my side. But thanks soo much for being concerned.

I am curious what a DSRL camera is.

Thanks again, Linda
May 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Linda, Roccco probably meant DSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex. This is a regular 35 mm camera with interchangable lense. Unless you are a photo buff or have an old film SLR and want to continue to use those lenses then there is little or no need to consider one. They are bigger, more complex and expensive than a point and shoot, which has the built in lens.

I'm very happy with my Canon S70, so off that up as a suggestion, but I like a wider angle lens and its optical goes from 28-100.

This is another excellent site that has more information than you want to know about digital cameras:
http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck on your trip!

May 14th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Linda-
After reading a lot of information from this Board, we just purchased the Panasonic DMC5 for our upcoming Tanzania safari. It is our first digital, has a 12X optical zoom. (cost approx. $450.) VERY light and virtually idiotproof.
May 15th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Excellent choice, cokkndoc. The Panasonic DMC-FZ5 is a terrific camera -- unlike the Sony or Fuji cameras mentioned earlier in this thread, the Panasonic has image stabilization, which is extremely important when you use the full zoom capability.
May 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM

rizzuto,

Can you comment on the Panasonic DMC5 vs. digital SLRs? I am thinking that something like the Panasonic would spare me the bulk and inconvenience of interchangeable lenses. The camera store folks tell me that the digital SLRs are so much better than the zoom digitals. Is that right?
May 16th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I also bought the Panasonic, but a FZ20 which is a newer version of the FZ5. So far I love it. It's great for taking landscape and people pictures, and pictures are very clear even at high zoom w/the image stabilizer. Also very easy to use yet has plenty of manual adjustments.

Main reason I chose this vs. the SLR is for convenience and ease of use. Plus it's much more affordable.

Here's a forum where the Panasonic is discussed http://www.dcresource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Some of the people have posted absolutely amazing pictures.
May 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Actually, the FZ5 is much newer than the FZ20; the FZ5 just came on the market in the last 2 months. The FZ20 offers a hot shoe for a flash attachment and a few extra features, it's about $100 more than the FZ5, and it's also somewhat heavier and bulkier.

It's not surprising that camera store people would prefer the digital SLRs. People with a great deal of skill and experience would want a full-feature camera that lets them set a lot of this-and-that. On the other end of the spectrum are people who don't want to do anything except point and shoot. The FZ5, FZ20, and similar models (the Minolta Dimage something-5 is a good choice, as well) falls somewhere in the middle: you can use them as point-and-shoot cameras with everything automated, and you can also use a whole bunch of more advanced features.

For me, the FZ5 is the ideal combination of features and portability. It won't fit in my pocket like my beloved Dimage-X, but it does take great pictures.

Search this Thread