Yellowstone-Changing hotels worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Yellowstone/Grand Teton in late September/early October.

Have reservations for Grand Tetons Signal Mt (3 nts), then Cody for 2. Have 4 nights for Yellowstone, then 1 nt for Jackson Hole before flying out.

Right now, it looks like we can get into Old Faithful Snow Lodge for 2, then Mammoth for 2. That would be 5 hotel changes in 11 nights. We could stay in West Yellowstone 4 nights or hold out for 4 nights in OF Snow Lodge.

Seems like most people recommend moving around in Yellowstone. Good idea for us? Seems like on the Europe forum, where I spend more time, frequent moving is discouraged. Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 07:55 AM

It's such a huge place, I'd do it.

Now, we normally stay in West Yellowstone right at the entrance, since we have a timeshare there. BUT although we can be in the park in a minute or two, it's still nearly an hour just to get to Old Faithful. A trip to Mammoth ends up taking all day.

We've stayed at the Snow Lodge and enjoyed it very much. Mammoth would be the next place we will try staying.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. It would be nice to wake up at the park. We also enjoy day hikes very much, so less time in the car would be good.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 08:02 AM

DO IT!! I think staying in the park is so well worth it and splitting your time is a great idea given the distances. 100%, absolutely take the 2 nights at Old Faithful and 2 at Mammoth. That is a perfect split. Pack lightly and moving hotels isn't much of a problem. We do it all the time on national park trips.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 08:07 AM

We always change hotels at Yellowstone, mostly due to availability, like you. But as others have said. it cuts down on the driving and allows you to truly immerse yourselves in the different areas of the park.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 02:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You don't mention (maybe in another thread) how many people you are, how many rooms you need and what your interests are.

If viewing wildlife is a priority then you want to be close to where the wildlife is as they are most active early and late and you don't want to be driving in the dark.

I agree moving around is necessary (I've been twice and both times stayed at Old Faithful, Canyon and Signal Mountain) to see the parks but if all you do is keep packing and unpacking you won't have time to see anything.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Our two sons will be joining us--so there will be four. We would like to see wildlife, but we also enjoy hiking. I made reservations today for Mammoth (2 nights, 2 Frontier cabins) and Old Faithful Snow Lodge 2 nights (only two nights were available in either spot).

I think sunset at that time of year is 6ish -- I don't want to be driving in the dark, so that cuts down on available hours. I am hesitant about all the packing and unpacking, but I guess if we put our minds to it, we can manage.

Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I saw a link on another thread for hiking trails in the Grand Tetons. There seemed to be more around Jenny Lake than around the Signal Mountain area--although the lodging itself seems fairly close.

Can you walk out of Jenny Lake right to trailheads? Would it be better to stay at Jenny Lake if we are more interested in hiking--or are they so close that it makes small difference? (We have a reservation in a large cabin with washer/dryer at Signal Mt.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 04:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Signal Mtn is very nice. The drive from Signal Mtn to Jenny Lake is quite short so not a problem.

Late September you shouldn't have a crowd problem.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 04:18 AM

Re: crowds. In the past few years, YNP/GT has become hugely popular with the Asian tourism market. Last fall, our normally peaceful September/October timeframe was chock full of tour buses and vans - not like summertime, but there were still lines to get into the park.

Watch out for the selfie sticks..

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/b...d13784a8f.html

And -

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/e...03167c2f8.html