Yellowstone 1 week via Bozeman

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone 1 week via Bozeman

Flying into and out of Bozeman (would have liked to flew into Jackson and out of Bozeman or visa versa, however that was not possible), will be there for one week. Possible to see a lot of Yellowstone and Grand Tetons? Young couple in our mid 30's that are aware we will be busy busy. Itinerary suggestions for the week? How many different motels/hotels should we stay at and for how long? We are going mid-September. Thanks! Arrive into and leave from Bozeman around 1pm (will be there Sat-Sat)
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 04:03 PM

Hi - I posted a trip report about Yellowstone flying in/out of Bozeman. Spent the first night in Red Lodge to take the Bear Tooth Highway into the NE entrance of park so we could drive through Lamar Valley. Stayed two nights in a cabin at the Roosevelt Lodge. Third night in park was at the Old Faithful Inn. Our first & last nights of a 5 night trip were outside of the park. Last night was in Big Sky for an easier commute to airport. I felt like we saw the highlights could always do more. I prefer to move to different hotels versus back tracking just my opinion. I booked out trip 4 months in advance called many times to get the lodging we wanted so be persistent. Check out my trip report for more details. Good luck it is an amazing place.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, FTT. I checked Roosevelt Lodge and September isn't even an option How crazy would it be to drive from Bozeman down to Jackson Hole on day 1, Grand Tetons on day 2 and work our way up through Yellowstone the next 5 days? I am pretty sure we will have to stay outside of the park unless we start calling everyday to see if a room opens up inside of the park.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 09:43 AM

Not sure of the sanity of your proposed drive, probably nuts. Honest keep trying for the lodging you want. Is Roosevelt Lodge closed or just booked?

We stayed the first night in Red Lodge it took a couple of hours to get there. Cute town and we took a slower pace because we traveled with kids. There was a small town just before the NE entrance that may be a possible first night but that seems ambitious. Gardnier, MT is also an option different entrance to the park though.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Bozeman to Gardiner (only 1.5 hours) for the first night, and depending on time, see the north part of the park (Mammoth). Maybe the next night end up in West Yellowstone. (The park is in a figure 8; you could stay in West Yellowstone and/or Gardiner, very close to the entrances, and visit a huge amount of the park over a few days.) Stay in Jackson Hole for the Grand Teton park part, then wind your way back up through the park to Bozeman (4 hours from Jackson to Bozeman).
It's pretty easy, actually, and staying in the park border towns is a fine option; we've done it for almost 40 years.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I have scratched the Bozeman to Jackson drive, lol. We plan on staying in Red Lodge the first night, stay in a few different spots inside of Yellowstone (luckily I still see we have a few options - Roosevelt lodge is not open in September) or at the West Entrance and then in Jackson for 1-2 nights to do the Grand Tetons. If we decide to go with West Yellowstone, about how long of a drive are we talking about to get the the main attractions as well as any other must not miss sites? We have a solid 6 days to work with and want to see as much as we can! Any other recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated - thanks
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM

IS Old Faithful in open in September? That would be my vote. Don't remember the drive times, sorry.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Big Sky was very nice. We were there because of a motorcycle thing but I drove to Yellowstone from there. It was an easy commute to the airport in Bozeman but there was a lot of road work being done so be prepared for delays.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:54 AM

West Y. is just a few miles from the W. Entrance. The park has "main attractions" everywhere (geothermal attractions in particular). The Yellowstone Lake Hotel is a wonderful place to have breakfast or lunch, BTW (stunning views); it's in a central location.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:23 AM

Since you're getting in around 1pm, I think it quite possible to make your way down to Jackson Hole and work your way up for the remainder of the week. It's 4-4 1/2hrs but the drive is scenic down 191 and 20. You could take an extra 15 minutes to detour to the scenic drive and see Mesa Falls. Head into Jackson Hole Village and settle in with a late dinner and many choices of hotels. You would use your entire travel day to good use, see beautiful things along the way, and be at a great starting point for your week. Moose Wilson Road should be your drive in to see the Tetons the next morning. It should be open at that time of the year and an early morning drive through the area might be wonderful for wildlife spotting. Tons of mule deer and maybe a moose would be a lovely way to start your day. The Village also has a great view from the tram up the mountain.
I guess I just like the thought of not having to work my way back to Bozeman. If your flight is long and tiring you might rather drive an 1 1/2 to the upper portion of Yellowstone on day one, but I don't recall how long your flight is. Sorry. Hope you have a wonderful vacation. Enjoy your parents requests to take it slow. You can always go back and hike another time. There is so much to see from the car that I think they'll enjoy this time with you and your sister
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:19 PM

HAHAHA I'm losing my mind. Never mind the last few sentences ^ up there. I read too many posts and got yours mixed with another.
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Keep checking for cancellations in the park. Their cancellation policy is very generous (full refund if cancelled two days prior) and as most people reserve many months ahead, it is common for some to cancel.

I found my husband last minute lodging at the Grand Canyon recently. At one week out, there was no availability. I checked several times a day and something opened up the next day and I jumped on one. I kept watching just to see and sure enough, something would open up every day, even the day before.