Yellowstone and Tetons Hotels where to stay

Aug 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Yellowstone and Tetons Hotels where to stay

We are going to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons September 2020. I have searched the internet for two solid days to find a CLEAN hotel or cabin in the park or very near the entrance .of the parks. I have a headache trying to read the reviews and trying to find the best place to stay. I cannot find a hotel that will be comfortable and clean for seniors that want to hike and enjoy the park. Please tell me where would be the best place to stay in each park. There are 4 couples. Thank you for your help.
Aug 11th, 2019, 05:46 PM

We've stayed in Yellowstone in a cabin at Yellowstone Hotel. As is true of many of the national park lodging choices it was clean, with a comfortable bed, but not very spacious or fancy. Basic linens, towels, etc. I do not remember if it had a TV, but did not have internet at that time. You are paying for the location. If you are looking for the Ritz, you will be disappointed, but if you want to spend time in the parks instead of driving to them you will be happy.
Aug 12th, 2019, 05:56 AM

Since you've been on the search, you've probably found quite a few options. I'm sure some haven't appealed to you for one reason or another - can you share what you didn't and did like? How long will you be there? What is your budget per night?

Yellowstone is set up in a big figure 8, and it is a lot of driving. For this reason, it is wise to pick 2 or 3 locations in different areas of the park to stay for multiple nights. If the price/availability/level of accommodations in the park doesn't suit, then West Yellowstone is a good option. However, even though it's right at the entrance, you would figure approximately an hour to get to an area like Old Faithful, and of course much farther for other sites.

The Tetons is not as large, and some of the lodging options are more upscale. You have the option of staying in Jackson or Teton Village, and again you would have some driving.

Haven't stayed there (yet), but there is a new lodge complex at Canyon Village. Here is a link to the Yellowstone Park lodges: https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/
Aug 12th, 2019, 06:19 AM

We stayed in a one bedroom suite at Yellowstone Gateway Inn in Gardiner MT last year. It's definitely the nicest place we've stayed (out of 4) in Gardiner. The town of Gardiner is located just outside of the north entrance so convenient for seeing the northern side of the park. How many nights will you have? Generally I recommend splitting your nights depending on how many total nights you have as Yellowstone is very large. Inside the park, I thought our room at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge was fine. We've also stayed in a Frontier Cabin at the Snow Lodge which was fairly rustic. As emalloy said the price reflects the location.

In Grand Teton we liked our one bedroom cabin at Dornan's last year. It's at the southern end of the park. We've also stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge before and love their lakefront location. Their rustic cabins are appropriately named so you might want to look at a higher category of room there. We prefer staying inside the park but have also used the town of Jackson as a base a couple of times. You'll find a greater selection of accommodations there some of which are newly opened and/or more luxurious than what you'll find inside the park.
Aug 12th, 2019, 09:10 PM

In Yellowstone, stay in the park. Anywhere is clean. I like the cabins better than the hotel rooms, myself. For Tetons, the cabins are Dornans are great but you could stay at one of the park lodgings as well. Start there first. Then, if you can't get in park lodgings, worry about out of park lodging.
Aug 13th, 2019, 03:35 AM

I would fly into Jackson and stay a couple of nights at Teton Village a short distance into GTNP. They are apartments/condos and not sure if there is one big enough for all 8 of you, but there are certainly 2-3 bedroom units. Not rustic at all, but modern and clean and a good place to start your trip; also easy drive to town of Jackson if you want a nice dinner. Then proceed to Yellowstone (they are contiguous but Jackson is too long a drive to use as base). I do not know length of your stay, but look at in-Park accommodations and also make a cancelable reservation outside Park. I would break up visit between West Yellowstone area and Gardiner. Gardiner will have non-Park options for some rafting that is fun. Both towns are very close to entrances. West Yellowstone has many more lodging options at a variety of price levels.

Wondering plan for touring Parks with 8 people and at times luggage? An 8 passenger mini-van is rather cramped for 8 adults and would be unlikely to have enough cargo space to accommodate all your luggage.