Yellowstone and the Tetons With a Teenager

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (ages 66 and 67) will be visiting Yellowstone and the Tetons for a week with our almost 16 year old granddaugher in July. We'll fly into and out of Jackson, Wyoming. Her dad is a wildlife biologist (but he is not coming along with her), and she is very interested in seeing all the wildlife she can. She is not at all into luxury accommodations, and we would like to stay in places that would allow her to see as much of the natural beauty of the area as possible. However, her grandfather and I would prefer not to hike with a backpack into some wilderness destination.
Any suggestions for places to stay and things to see and do would be appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM

To get accomodations in Yellowstone for this July might be very difficult. I'd start calling and see what is available and take what you can get. Otherwise you'll probably want to stay in the town of West Yellowstone.

I'd have your granddaughter look around the Yellowstone http://www.nps.gov/yell Might look into ranger led hikes.

Hayden Valley is an excellent place to find wildlife, but you will find it all over the park. You just never know when and where you will see grizzlys, black bears, bison, elk, eagles, wolves and even moose.

The old faithful area is filled with many geyser areas that are great for short and long hikes. I usually like to spend at least 2 - 3 days in this area seeing all the geysers. Lone Star geyser hike is well worth it if you can time it for an eruption.

Utahtea
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:18 AM

If you have a week, you should check out the R Lazy S Dude Ranch. You see lots of wildlife on horseback and on the ranch itself. From there, you could do lots of day hikes. Log cabins without tv and telephones but very nice most with own fireplace or wood burning stove. Great food!
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM

May I suggest a couple of nights in Cooke City or the Roosevelt Lodge so you can visit the Lamar Valley in early morning or late evening. You have a good chance of seeing one of wolf packs that make the Valley home. Also expect bison, and possibly a bear or two. The North East area of the Park is one of the best kept secrets of Yellowstone. Few venture off the figure eight main road to that area. We are about the same age as you and have been visiting and camping in the Lamar since the early 80's.

http://www.yellowstone.net/topten/lamarvalley.htm

http://www.ccsinclair.com/webcam.htm

http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/to...mar_valley.php
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM

I can't help you with accomodations, but take a float trip on the Snake at dusk to see animals feeding. This is NOT "rapids", it is a "float".
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM

I can't help with Yellowstone accomodations, but as for the GTNP, I would recommend Colter Bay cabins. They might not be available this late because they seem to fill up quickly. They give you a "rustic" feel but don't break the bank. If you're into camping, Colter Bay has a great campground with flushable toilets and showers. Advance reservations aren't accepted, but if you show up in the morning around 11am you should be able to get a spot (that's when everyone has to checkout by). I worked 2 summers at Colter Bay and it has some amazing scenery. A fun activity in CB is to rent a canoe and paddle around the shore of the lake. Last time I stayed in the campground a black bear came wandering through our camp so there is definately an opportunity to see wildlife.
The chance to see Moose is definately higher than bears. The two summers I worked there I spent almost everyday hiking and exploring the back country and I only saw a bear once. Maybe you'll get lucky though. Whatever you do, you'll have a great time. It is a beautiful area and it takes my breath away everytime I see that amazing mountain range. Enjoy!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:24 AM

Grand Tetons - One of the best places to sight moose is between the Jackson Lake Lodge and the Oxbow which is a couple miles away. Best time is early & late afternoon til dark. Before you reach the Oxbow there is an unmarked road to right (coming from lodge) which leads to a boat launch. Have seen osprey, bald eagles, moose, elk and otter along this short but very pothole filled gravel road and at the river.
Can usually see pelicans at the base of Jackson Lake Dam.
If you go on the outside park road which leads from Dubois to Jackson will pass turnoff to Swambachers Landing (right turn if going towards Jackson) take this winding gravel road to the end. Offers wonderful view of the major peaks reflected in a beaver pond which is frequented by moose, might also see beaver (late in day best).

Yellowstone- Will need binoculars to get good view but if you check out the top of the hoodoos along the scenic drive in Canyon area will spot large nests (piles of sticks) for osprey which are used year after year. May still have the young being fed by parents.
Take the road from Madison Jct back towards West Yellowstone and look for elk in the meadows (early & late best) and along the Madison River especially down by the bridge a pair of trumpeter swans usually hang out. Closer to W Yellowstone is large tree on left which more than likely will have a no stopping sign on either side of it. Look for eagle nest on top of the tree.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks to all for the suggestions. I wonder if I should post another subject heading on this next question which is whether I should keep checking for cancellations at accommodations in the park. I am wondering if I check every day if some might show up on the Internet reservation site. Or would it be better to call the reservation number?
We have Hilton points, so I think the first night or two will be spent in Jackson Hole as will the last night before we fly home.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM

I don't know which would be the better way to check, but definitely keep checking for cancellations!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM

For wildlfe viewing in and around GTNP I have two locations:

Take the backroad from Teton Village into GTNP. Part of it is paved and part isn't. You stand a great chance of seeing moose, elk and deer along this road at dawn and dusk (other times also). I diver this road every time I am there and have had good luck.

At dusk, drive toward the Gros Ventre campgroud. The road runs along a river and I have seen numerous elk there at dusk along the river.