Yellowstone and Grand Teton last minute planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would anyone have any suggestions for planning an 8 - 9 day trip to the Yellowstone and Grand Teton area from NYC? We would rent a car and need to plan hotel stays. Most economical would probably to fly into Salt Lake City. It looks like Jet Blue arrives in SLC @ 11:30pm, so an overnight stay at the airport would probably be in order. Where to from there?

We have never been in this part of the country before. We are a 50+ couple. We enjoy walking, but we are not experienced hikers. We enjoy white water rafting. We would enjoy swimming and just taking in the beautiful scenery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have planned many successful trips with the help of you Fodorites.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:19 AM

The first question is, "When are you going?"
Your answer will definitely influence any recommendations. If it's this summer, you're very late in seeking accommodations within the parks and will only get them if you luck in on last-minute cancellations.
As for activities, your choices will be limited if it's a trip from mid-September on.
The only thing guaranteed no matter when you go is that you'll definitely see some magnificent scenery!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 09:05 AM

You could go right up 16 and visit Craters of the Moon in Idaho (fab; and get your Golden Eagle for Teton and Yellowstone at the same time, and save $). It's about 3 hrs to Pocatello, another 3 to Yellowstone, if you don't do a diversion.You will enjoy doing all the little walks to/from the stuff in Yellowstone, almost everything except the walk down to the waterfalls is fairly easy. Stay in the new motels in the towns that border the park (e.g., WEst Yellowstone, Gardiner [on top of Mammoth Hot Springs)if you want pool swimming/reasonable rates; until school starts, reservations within the park are difficult (and everything surrounding the park is scenic, anyway). Go everywhere and anywhere in that whole area that you can--it's all gorgeous. Bison and moose along the Yellowstone river (or any other river) are best early in the morning, second best at dusk. Good luck, hope you see a wolf!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Hi! I just booked a similar trip for my husband & I in mid-October -- I've friends who have been out at that time and loved it (sure, a bit colder than the summer and not enough snow for winter activities but we love traveling off-season).

Anyhow - here are our plans so far (some really great rates):
1. Flights to/from Newark via Continental -- $260 round trip for each person (was going to use ff points but rates were too good). Flight to SLC leaves at 6:25 pm and arrives at 9:25 pm. Flight to Newark leaves at 10:25 am and arrives at 4:26 pm.

2. We're staying overnight in SLC both when we land and the evening before we go home. Got a fabulous AAA rate at the Hilton SLC airport -- $66/night!!!! I don't think I've seen a rate like this since I was in college. Hotel seems to have received good reviews from sites I've checked.

3. We're using Jackson Hole, WY as our base and are staying at Rusty Parrot Lodge & Spa for 7 nights. I've been told by our friends that this is a good location -- Yellowstone in season is about an hour's drive north (off season is about a 45 minute drive).

Hope you find this helpful! Going to start researching restaurants shortly.

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I would get a AAA guidebook or Fodors Frommers and call hotels in the area for lodging. The park lodges are gltc.com for the Tetons and Xanterra for Yellowstone. Yellowstone tetons are wonderful and worth the effort to plan this trip. Also check West Yellowstone area for hotel chains that may have rooms.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:38 PM

hilda,

That hour from Jackson to Yellowstone will ONLY get you to the S. Entrance of Yellowstone. Yellowstone is a big park and there's a lot of driving just to see all the different areas. The day you go to Mammoth Hot Springs area you will be driving at least 300 miles so plan on at least 6 hours of JUST driving time!!!! You have a lot of driving ahead of you and I really wouldn't suggest it for other people until you have experienced it yourself. If it were my vacation, I'd cancel all but two of the days at the Rusty Parrot Lodge and find something either in the park or in West Yellowstone!

mochomiak,

I would keep calling and try to get lodging in Yellowstone for at least 4 -5 of those days and try for 2 to 3 different locations. If you can't find lodging in the park, then I would try West Yellowstone, Montana. This will be the easiest and shortest outside lodging to all of the park. Since you have so much time, I'd spend at least 2 nights at the Grand Tetons and Jackson would be a good base for there if you can't get lodging in the park.

Utahtea
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Hilda,

I second utahtea's thoughts. I love Jackson Hole, but I would not use it as a base for Yellowstone. We just returned from 2 days in Grand Teton NP and 4 days in Yellowstone. We stayed in the Old Faithful area, which is probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Jackson, and we still spent a lot of time in the car while touring the park. Driving after dark also gets tricky. One evening our 15 minute drive turned into 45 minutes after we were caught in a Bison jam. I think you would enjoy your trip more, if you at least spent a couple of nights inside the park. I'm not sure what your dates are, but the Old Faithful Snow Lodge has rooms available through October 21. Yellowstone and GTNP are both beautiful and special places. Have a great trip.