Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago in September. What to see/do/eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for suggestions. We have 3 days arriving Sept 19. The Cubs are away and we are not the museum types. We are from New Orleans and not interested in a jazz club, zoo or aquarium. Renting bikes on the lake is the only thing we have planned to do. Please help.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Not to sound rude, but why did you choose Chicago? You've eliminated almost everything tourists do here. An architecture tour, shopping on Michigan Ave., dining in a few nice restaurants, and taking in a play would be my suggestions. Check Metromix.com for upcoming events and restaurant reviews.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 08:07 PM

The architecture tour is fun. You learn a lot of the history and get to take a boat ride. I also suggest going to the top of either the Sears Tower or the Hancock building, it gives you a birds eye view of the city you are in. Plus if you are just looking for baseball, the Sox are in town when you are here. When all else fails go shopping.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:16 AM

uh... what do you like to do when you go places? Let us know and then we can help you out.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Jeez... how about some real deep dish pizza? Or what was suggested earlier, go shopping on the Magnificent Mile? Take in killer comedy at Second City or other improv clubs. View the city from the Hancock or Sears towers? Enjoy Millenium Park, the first big urban park opened in the 21st century. Ride the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier. Watch the traders at the American or CBOT exchange floors. Visit the suburb of Oak Park, home to Frank Lloyd Wright and Ernest Hemingway.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. We are going to U2 concert, have never been to Chicago and this is our one trip without kids in over 2 years. I knew I was being difficult when I wrote the post, so I appreciate the kindness. What about neighborhoods to explore with trendy shops?
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:07 PM
JJ5

You do know that the U2 concert is at United Center and NOT downtown. Not that you can't stay downtown, but all the other venues you "sound" like you would participate in would not be anywhere near United Center. FYI

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:11 PM

For trendy shops I'd suggest the shops along Damen in Bucktown and the Shops along Division in Wicker Park. Here is a good article about my neighborhood in the New York Times that will give you an idea.

http://tinyurl.com/74ecn
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Isn't United Center just about 1 mile west of the Loop area? That's pretty close to "downtown" and easy enough to reach by cab. I would think someone spending 3 days enjoying Chicago, with just one evening spent at United Center, would rather stay in a more central area than out by United Center.

uptowngirl2418 - Are you not into any type of museums, or just art? Chicago has many other museums that are world class, if you're interested. And you mentioned no jazz clubs, but what about blues?

Lincoln Park, Grant Park, Millennium Park are all great to explore. Chicago has many fun neighborhoods as well (you can look up info about them at www.metromix.com).

I don't know what day your concert is, but on the 19th there is a free concert in Millennium park as part of the world music festival. See www.millenniumpark.org for more info.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM
JJ5

My point was only that it may be better for uptowngirl to stay uptown.

United Center at 1901 W. Madison is not where I would suggest lodging. It's just that with the "sound" of her question, she would be happier staying up in a "trendy" neighborhood- since she isn't interested in most downtown venues.

They would take other transportation, and probably that would be a cab, to the United Center anyway.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Actually, there really isn't any lodging near the UC. For more info, there was another post created about the same day about where to stay for a concert at the UC.

Chicago does have a number of B&B's, including in the the very trendy Bucktown/Wicker Park area and Lakeview. If you're more interested in exploring the neighborhoods than traditional sightseeing, these could be great choices for places to stay.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

jlm_mi.. I've been to many art museums, zoos, jazz clubs, etc. Looking for something different. Other types of museums or clubs would interest me. Thanks.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again jlm_mi. The Millennium Park venue with free concert looks amazing. We will definitely be there.

Vittrad...Sounds like my kind of neighborhood. Thanks to you too. I'm excited now.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Uptowngirl2418, if you are interested in B&Bs, try the Flemish House in the Gold Coast area of Chicago.

However, if you are interested in staying at a hotel very convenient to the United Center, then I'd recommend that you look at Hotel Burnham. Not only is it a historical gem, but a lovely hotel as well. AND the United Center (Madison #20) bus stops at State/Madison (only 1 block to the south of your hotel).

All of the above suggestions about spending your time here are good ones. You might consider the Museum of Science and Industry, which is a hands-on museum - check out their website and see if you have any interest. It's unfortunate that the Body Worlds exhibit will be closing shortly before you come to Chicago, because it is an excellent one. The MSI is huge so I would recommend allowing most of a day to get through it.

Another suggestion is the Chicago Botanic Gardens. I normally don't suggest this option to visitors with such a short stay here, but you might think about taking your rented bikes there (on METRA--non rush-hour) and enjoying the lovely gardens. When you are coming in September is one of the loveliest times of the year (weatherwise--cool in the evenings and warm during the day), yet most of the flowers are still in full bloom (notwithstanding a very early frost). Plus the Monarch butterflies will probably be in full force when you are here. If you have any interest in this option, please check out the Chicago Botanic Gardens website.

Have fun while you are here!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Septmeber is the best weather month historically for Chicago so just go outside and enjoy the weather-Navy Pier, the Lakefront, wander through Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, the Gold Coast, shop as you go along. Along with what Vittard suggested, also check out the Lincoln Park shops -generally hit Halsted and Armitage areas and the offshoots from that intersection. Lakeview has some great shops too on Southport and some great restuarants and you can stroll by Wrigley if you so choose. You'll find plenty to keep you busy.