Yellowstone & Grand Teton

Sep 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Yellowstone & Grand Teton

We are planning to visit Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks in Summer 2011. We would like to stay inside the Yellowstone park.We plan to see lower loop one day,upper loop another day & Grand Teton on third day.The questions are - where to stay - should we book 3 different hotels for 3 different days as we are not very fond of driving, is it possible to make the tour of Grand Teton in 1 day & the nearest airport. Any idea about planning the trip will be welcome.
Sep 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM

If that's all the time you have, you can do it.
I've stayed at the Old Faithful Inn twice and love it. You could use it as your base for the two days in Yellowstone, stay there for the last night too and "do" Grand Teton NP on your way south to the Jackson Hole airport.
I think you need more time in the parks, but you can "do" both parks in 3 days if you have to.
Sep 11th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Starrs and I both have recent trip reports here; click my name and you'll find mine.

After arriving in Jackson, we drove through the park that afternoon and evening. The next morning we drove up past the ski resort, stopped at the Laurence S. Rockefeller Preserve, and did a float trip with Triangle X Ranch.

After the float trip, we drove up to Jenny Lake and stopped a couple of other places on our way to Yellowstone.

We spent one night at the Old Faithful Lodge cabins, one at the Mammoth cabins, and one at the Canyon cabins. However, as Starrs said, you could spend two nights at Old Faithful and be pretty well based to see the park.

Lee Ann
Sep 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. Great ideas. Many thanks again,
Sep 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM

I would spend one night at OFI and one night at Roosevelt Lodge. I found Mammoth to be very very boring. Loved Canyon, Tower, Lamar, and Hadyn Valley. I would spend a full day around OF geyser basin/area. Don't miss Castle and Riverside Geysers.
Sep 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM

I think three nights is rushing it. We spent two nights in Tetons, and loved every minute. Instead of staying in Yellowstone, we enjoyed quiet nights ub nearby towns: Ennis, Red Lodge, Emigrant, Buffalo, Cody, and Dubois. Loved 'em all.

HTTY
Sep 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM

I just (this evening) got back from a very short hiking trip to Utah with my daughter. I'm trying to catch up.

I don't know your travel style so it's hard to comment on the plan.

If you want to do any hiking (even easy), if you want to see some wildlife (they live by their schedule), if you want to get a reasonable geyser experience, if you're interested in seeing some spectacular water falls, they all take time.

If you're in the planning stage and figure that you can see the upper loop, lower loop and Grand Tetons in three days, you're cheating yourself.

If you've looked at the amount of time you have and are trying to fit these in, then I beleive in living with what you've got.

Just be aware of the following: Old Faithful erupts approximately every 90 minutes. That makes it easy. However, there's much more to the Upper and Middle basins than Old Faithful.

There are 5 predicted geysers. You don't have to see them all but a few are very nice to see.

A walk thru the Upper Basin late in the afternoon or evening is an experience. At the least, after seeing a few of the predicted geysers I would tour Geyser Hill at least once.

If you are interested in seeing wildlife, then you have to be looking when they're visible. In general, most wildlife are around early in the morning or early in the evening.

If you're interested in seeing some spectacular water falls the best views may not be 50 yards from the parking lot. While Artist Point gives a spectacular view of the Lower Falls and the Canyon leading to them, in my opinion Red Rock Point gives the best view of the actual falls. Unfortunately Red Rock Point is a good 20 minute hike down below Lookout Point. We were there around 9:30 AM and saw an amazing rainbow.

You can read my report and take a look at my photos.
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM

We finally went this summer to both Yellowstone and Tetons.

One thing to consider is that it is almost impossible to get a rental car that allows a decent rate due to the drop off fee issue.
We flew into Cody, got a rental car, stopped at Wal mart in Cody on way West to Yellowstone. Drove 4 hours all way to Jacksone Hole in the same afternoon and spent the 1st night in Jackson Hole at Snake River Lodge. Day 2 saw JAckson Hole, did the tram to the top and had dinner at JAckson Hole. Day 3 checked out and drove the short distance 1 hour back north to Jackson LAke Lodge and stayed 1 night, had dinner (best lodge of the trip. 3rd day drove all day to Canyon Lodge and stayed at Old Faithful (worst lodge of the trip but nice geysers.)4th day drove 6 hours out the East Entrance to Cody.

Saw lots of animals and lots of construction where we turned teh car off for as long as 1 hour.