Yellowstone and Grand Teton

Dec 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Yellowstone and Grand Teton

Hello - this is my first message - I have really enjoyed reading other posts - I am planning a trip in July 2007 with my husband and my 11 yr old son to Yellowstone/Grand Teton (I like to plan early - build up the excitement!)- we will probably have to fly in to Salt Lake City -We will have about 12 days to spend - We would like to stay in the park while at Yellowstone and not move too much around from hotel to hotel - I am very interested in the Old Faithful Inn and Lake Yellowstone hotel but that is up for discussion - I would like suggestions of an itinerary that would make the most of this time - thanks so much!
Dec 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM

If you fly into SLC, spend 2 nites there (or do it at end of trip). Then head to Jackson Hole are for 2-3 nights and see Grand Teton National Park and some of the sites around Jackson. You might want to do a wite water rafting trip while in this area.

It take an hour or so to drive thru Grand Teton to southern most end of Yellowstone. From there, a "figure 8" road configuration in the park and the distances make it practical to stay in 2-3 places for a few nights each. You certainly do not need to move every night, but the distances and need to back=track over the same roads make at least 2 bases a good idea, in my opinion.

Gardiner area (northern entrance) also has some nice rafting - a little tamer if that is more your speed.

Then make the trek back to SLC - no way really around driving thru both Parks that I know of and the drive will take longer than the distances indicate since there are frequent "animal jams".

We had a great time at Yellowstone summer 2005 - hope you enjoy it as much as we did and that this gives you a rough framework from which to begin planning.

While we did not stay in Park because we could not commit to dates until too late in planning process, you have plenty of time to book (Xanterra.com for in-Park lodging).

Dec 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM

I have been to both many times. (Live within ten hours of both) I prefer Teton Park. I love the idea of being out on Teton Lake and see Teton Mtn. rise directly from the lake. If you go, don't miss Apline, WY. It is on the west side of Teton Mtn. Heavenly.
Dec 6th, 2005, 12:12 PM

We stayed in the Lake Yellowstone Hotel for the entire duration of our 6-day stay in Yellowstone and found it fine (the location, that is). We didn't want the inconvenience of moving from place to place either. The hotel wasn't as great as we thought it would be, although to be fair you are pretty limited anyway on accommodation in the park, and nowhere is luxurious. We thought the Canyon Lodge looked about the nicest, and boasted the best, and most central location, convenient for driving to all areas of the park. We had a couple of meals there and wished we'd stayed there. Would definitely stay in one place for an entire Yellowstone stay again.
Dec 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I suggest two locations in Yellowstone:
Canyon and Old Faithful.

If you stay at Old Faithful, consider the Snow Lodge. If you select the Old Faithful Inn, be careful which room you rent. Some of them are very small, and most uncomfortable.

On the average, accommodations in the Tetons are better buys for the dollar than those in Yellowstone.

Dec 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Old Faithful Inn is 100 years old and very charming. The inside is breathtaking, with its huge fireplace and mesmerizing clock.

While baths down the hall initially sound inconvenient, they are very old-time elegant. The rooms are simple and rustic but comfortable.

You can grab a coffee and watch Old Faithful erupt from the deck, or head out the front door onto the amazing geyser path.

I would go every year if I could.
Dec 6th, 2005, 05:26 PM

I love the park hotels! They are not luxurious big city hotels...part of the charm. I have always found them to be impeccably clean. We have stayed at Canyon, Old Faithful, Lake and Roosevelt. I think Old Faithful and Lake are good choices. The dinig rooms at both locations are very nice and it is fun just to be in the lobby. You can stroll out to the lake/geyser at will. Ahhhh...its a great park.
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:10 AM

Food in Park for 12 days can get tedious - there are some decent places to eat, but variety can be lacking. Make sure you buy/bring a cooler for lunches, stock up on non-perishables, and at least bring some water bottles with you each day of touring.

I do not know of any in-Park accomodations that allows for any cooking, and few even have refrigerators. This was another factor in our deciding to stay out of Park (not that I was doing any cooking on vacation - but several hotels we got breakfast and had a refrigerator).

We actually enjoyed our stays in West Yellowstone and Gardiner because we spent some time touring a little of the non-Park areas and talking to locals. Even went to a local rodeo in West Yellowstone - and it really was local since everyone else in the stands seemed to know each other.