Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Retiring in or near Charleston, South Carolina

Aug 29th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I would like to plan a trip to look around the Charleston, SC area in early December to check out different areas for retirement within the next few years (we are 48 years old now). Maybe golf communities or something near the water?? Looking to build or buy a very nice home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:58 AM
GoTravel

What is your budget? On the water is $1.5 million plus depending upon community.

A very nice home not on the water is $700,000 and up.

Check out www.ionvillage.com

Aug 29th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Budget is around $1 million - can you recommend any new golf communities?
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:21 AM
GoTravel

Daniel Island

http://www.danielisland.com/

Ion Village

www.IonVillage.com

Kiawah

http://www.kiawah.com/

Wild Dunes

http://www.wilddunes.com/

I would probably start with a good realtor.

Where are you moving from? Do you have a tentative year? The reason I ask is you may be better off buying something you can rent in a higher tourist area and down the road sell and dump that into your true dream house.

Example, you could get a beach house on Edisto Island for that amount, rent it for 5-10 years to help pay, then turn around and sell it when you are ready to move down.

Ocean front property will continue to rise in value even when other real estate is tanking.

Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:31 PM

Janie--my hubby and I are thinking of retiring to Charleston also. Our budget will not be as generous but I am finding lots of areas near the water that are far less than 1K. I contacted a realto in the area. She has been sending me listings according to my specifics (price range, number of BR's, baths, and neighborhoods) I have a mapping program that has helped me locate the homes and see what the neighborhoods are like. ie: restaurants, hospitals, attractions, etc. I would suggest staying there in the summer--summers are very hot and humid in Charleston (I don't know where you are living now) We have a month long stay planned for next year. Hope all this helps you.
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Isn't there an island that is very rural? John's Island maybe? I'm hearing lot sizes over 5 acres are being sold off. We are also in our late forties and are looking for a milder climate area for a second home. It has to be near sailing as my husband races sailboats as a hobby, golf and offer all types of outdoor activities. There are new private communities cropping up all over the United states. It's so hard to take the time to visit so many. That's why I'm trying to do the research on the computer.
Oct 20th, 2005, 02:57 PM
GoTravel

5 Acres on the water that doesn't include marsh will run you $20 million dollars if it even exists.

The coastal areas are very expensive.

Oct 24th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Have you looked at Litchfield Beach? It is north of Charleston (and south of Myrtle Beach) and has a very good golf course. Much of the Charleston area has become 'trendy' and the prices have gone up accordingly. When you say the water, don't limit yourself to the ocean. The marshes and the Intercoastal Waterways are great. Plus we have several large lakes. try Lake Murray near Columbia - no hurricanes!
Dec 6th, 2005, 04:51 PM

ydoc, I know what island you are talking about, it is dewees (sp) island. It is located just off the tip of Wild Dunes, and it is very secluded, but nice. There are no cars on the island, so you must either have a boat, or use the ferry. Also, lots are not 5 acres for 1 mil, however they are less than most other places.
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:43 AM
GoTravel

sctiger, lots are about one million per acre on Dewees Island.

Dec 7th, 2005, 05:15 AM

We are not able to afford anywhere near a million per acre. It was a nice thought though!