Questions about Central Park carriage ride

Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:28 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Questions about Central Park carriage ride

We will be in NYC with our two kids (age 10 and 13) the week before Thanksgiving. Our return flight leaves Thanksgiving Day at 7:30pm. We already have dinner reservations in midtown at 12:00. After that (weather permitting) I would like to go to Central Park for a carriage ride, preferably for about 45 minutes or so. Could we, should we make a reservation? Or do you just have to wait in line?
Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:10 AM

I walk down Central Park South (59th St.) fairly often and don't think I've ever seen a line for carriage rides.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM

Yes, the carriage ride usually amounts to about 25 minutes or so, I don't know whether you can pay them extra for a longer ride or not? Seems like that all the carriages had a pretty set pattern and routinely followed it.

I'm not sure you can even make reservations for the carriage rides. The all looked like private contracters with different carriages and such and they were queued to take the next available passengers. You really didn't have much choice (kind of like getting a cab at the airport in a peculiar sort of way), just the next one in line, some of the kids were hoping for certain carriages as they were of all different types, colors, styles etc. The only way you could do this is let people go in front of you until the carriage you wanted was available in the queue.
Nov 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I don't think you can make reservations, either. They line up like cabs at a cab stand, and you just take the next available one. It's nice. Don't forget your camera...
Nov 5th, 2005, 06:31 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks all. I actually prefer not to have to make a reservation. That way we can have a nice dinner and just head over there when we are done.
Dec 7th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Any ideas on how much a ride would cost for 4 people? Thanks
Dec 7th, 2005, 05:41 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Yes, our carriage ride was $45 (not incl.) tip for about a 20 minute ride. We enjoyed our ride, but it was a bit short and you didn't get to see too much of Central Park.