Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

St. Louis Forest Park Central West End Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody, I have to choose between the Chase Park Plaza and the Parkway Hotels in Forest Park. The Parkway is much cheaper, but has no pool and the pool at the Chase looks amazing online. Also, we are going to the Muny and it looks like the Chase might be within walking distance. Is Forest park safe at night to walk or should we rent a car? The Chase Hotel does charge for parking. I need some advice from people who know the area. Thanks in advance, Maggi
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Topping in the hopes someone will see this post with a tidbit of advice.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM

I had to Google the Parkway Hotel, since I didn't know what it was. I assumed it was built to house visitors to patients in the hospital since it's just across the street from Barnes Hospital, but they look like they are trying to attract all visitors.

I have no idea about how the hotel is itself. If it's much cheaper and that is important to you, I would say go there. It's a very new hotel and likely to be in decent shape. Are you bringing your kids? Is that the incentive for the pool? The Chase is a very lovely hotel, and both of them are close to the Muny.

What else are you doing here besides the Muny? It would help answer the question of if you should rent a car or not.

It would be a fairly easy walk to the Muny from either hotel (there's a Forest Park map on this site http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/parks/forestpark/) The park is so crowded emptying out after the Muny that you could probably walk for awhile at a faster pace than the cars are moving. But I don't think that I would be comfortable with that walk at night. I tried to see if the Muny website had any information about a place where a cab could pick you up. They don't on the website, but you might call the box office and ask. You can't be the only people without cars attending the Muny. There's a link to the Muny on the website I gave you above.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM

There's a shuttle from the Metrolink on Muny nights, and a Metro stop in the Central West End, but then you'd be walking away from the Muny to catch a train.

It's always hard to say something's 'safe', but I wouldn't fear walking home afterwards. As noted, the park is full of people leaving after the Muny, and carbon monoxide fumes from traffic might be the biggest danger. If you head towards the skating rink along the roads, it would be a 15 min walk.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Liz, I'm the "kid" that wants the pool I know it will be hot there and I relish the thought of vegging poolside during the day and walking to the theater at night. The rate I'm being offered is $100 a night cheaper at the Parkway, but the ambiance and amenities of the Chase might be worth the extra money to me. We pick and choose where to save the bucks. Maybe I won't rent a car for that reason.

I'm picturing Forest Park like a "mini" Central Park. Never been scared to walk and explore, but have never been to the area, ergo the question about safety. Thanks, stokebailey. Does anyone know if they offer bike rentals in Forest Park?

We will be attending the theater three nights in a row (my friend is starring in Miss Saigon), so that is the main reason for our trip. I have been told Central West End is great for restaurants, shops and galleries, so we will be exploring that. Might do the zoo too. We've done the Arch already, years ago. Don't know if it's worth going into the big city. Any other suggestions or comments are welcome.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:22 AM

Well, I grew up in NYC and would never have considered walking around Central Park after 11pm. That was awhile ago but old habits die hard.

Forest Park can be very busy and vibrant, espcially on weekends. But, this is a car culture, and people get to and from the park in cars. It's not at all like the huge amounts of people strolling through Central Park on their way to someplace.

The Central West End (also called the West End or CWE) is full of restaurants. Try searching for them in the restaurant guide at www.saucemagazine.com
Bar Italia has a large and inviting outdoor patio. And the Chase has Eau Cafe and Eau Bistro in the building. Both get great reviews although I have to admit that I haven't been to either of them.

Straub's is a full service but small grocery store just north of the Chase on Kingshighway. It would good if you wanted to grab some food for a picnic one night before the Muny. It's a bit of a Muny tradition to picnic before a show.

Coffee Cartel on the corner of Maryland and Euclid is open 24 hrs/day.

And I did think of the shuttle/Metrolink combo. But the shuttle bus is $1.50 pp and the Metrolink is $2.00 pp so it would likely be more economical if you took a cab. Maybe you could arrange to have one pick you up near where the shuttle busses park. But the Shuttle/Metrolink option would work. You would have to walk from the West End Metrolink stop to your hotel. The Parkway Hotel would be closer to the Metrolink.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:23 AM

Forest Park is actually quite larger (50%, I believe) than Central Park in NYC so it's definitely not a mini version!

Chte Parkway Hotel is supposed to be pretty nice. I haven't stayed there myself, but have had clients and friends stay there and were quite pleased. It's much cheaper than the Chase, if you are on a budget, and just across the street from the park.

I don't think you will have too much to worry about walking around at night, but I would stay in well-lighted areas along the streets just to be on the safe side.

A bike would be an excellent way to get around, because as I said the park is very large. I'm not sure about bike rentals but assume that they are available. You may want to do a google search for that.

Best wishes,
Tracy
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM

Hi,

Yes, ~1300 acres vs ~800 acres for Central Park. Big.

I know there are bike rentals at neighborhoods to the west; my daughter is bugging me for computer, so I'll check with my CWE bike nut friend and get back. Bicycle is my by far favorite way to get around Forest Park, and we have done it after Muny and Shakespeare in park, too.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:04 AM

You've got to decide yourself if you want to spend the money. The Chase might very well be the nicest hotel in St. Louis. The Parkway is more aimed at family members of Barnes/Jewish/Childrens patients. The Chase is for a special occasion. The Parkway seems about equal to a Hilton Garden Inn. The Chase does have a great pool: lots of stuff going on.

Forest Park is bigger than Central Park. You're usually going to need to get have a car to get around.

Big Shark Bikes in the Delmar Loop (a few blocks from the park) has rentals.
http://bigshark.com/page.cfm?pageID=31

I live a block away from Forest Park and bike it three or four times a week. Plus I play volleyball in the park and do plenty of activities. Never felt unsafe, but occasionally cars get broken into. However most victims left bags and expensive items in the open. Stuff like this also occur at high-end suburban malls.

Other area highlights:
-Delmar Loop
-Missouri Botanical Garden
-downtown and Busch Stadium
-Anheuser Busch and the Soulard neighborhood
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM

Since you'll be there three days, consider renting bikes for sure, and use for touring around the park/Central West End, or head west through the park and ride through good biking neighborhoods. You can also take bikes on the Metrolink to riverfront, for instance. The visitor center in Forest Park rents them now:

http://tinyurl.com/53h4en

This is fairly easy walk from Forest Pk Metro stop for pickup.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are so helpful, thanks! I feel a little sheepish now, calling Forest Park a mini-Central Park. I'm happy because I just got a great rate at the Chase Park Plaza, which puts it easily within my price range. I'm booked and stoked. It does look so much nicer than the Parkway and is historic to boot. I'm looking forward to renting a bike (thanks dweeb and stokebailey). This is going to be great!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM

Cool! The bike paths back to the Chase will be faster than a car could take you. Looking at the FPark rental bikes I don't see head or taillights, not so great at night. Check around for better deal, maybe?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

I'd probably just use the bike for daytime rides and walk to and from the theater at night, since I'll be more dressed up then.