Yankees/Red Sox 2

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yankees/Red Sox 2

A little additional info,

I do have a little reliable info - since I often have to entertain clients at these events - and saw last night's game in the stadium.

Tickets are very expensive - at the Stadium we paid $1200 each for box seats near first base (8th row) - but those in the first rows were going for over $2000 each. Every seat was filled.

Fenway seats will probably cost more - not less.

We use the internet sellers all the time and have always found them reliable - many of their tickets are not bought up in blocks - but are from season ticket holders who either can;t use them - or prefer the cash.

E-bay has better prices - but make sure the seller can actually deliver the tickets when/where you need them.

Being a Red Sox fan in Yankee Stadium is not really an issue (but I wouldn;t sit inthe bleachers) unless you are obnoxius about it. There were two guys from Boston behind us - in Red Sox garb - and no one gave them grief - but then they were well-behaved (not screaing imprecations etc).

The same is not true in Fenway. Wearing Yankee gear is an invitation to verbal abuse and even assault (beer throwing etc). Please - even if you can get tickets - do not wear anything identifying as a Yankee fan in Fenwway.

By the was - who's their daddy?

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:59 AM

There is an explanation to the abuse Yankee fans get. Notice how the Sox fans at the Stadium were well behaved. The same cannot be said for Yankee fans at Fenway.

I went to the July 24 game that Mueller won with his home run, with 7 Yankee fans. No problem. The fans that mouthed off got abused, arrested and thrown out along with the Sox fans. Any fan behaves well and they are left alone. This is nothing that only happens at Yankee Stadium.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:36 AM

I was at a Red Sox game in April with a good friend who is also a Yankee fan. I always wear my Yankee cap to show my loyalty. From what I saw that night, the great majority of those in attendance were drunken 20-something males. My friend and I are graying and in our mid-40's. As we were walking out of Fenway Park, talking amongst ourselves, one Red Sox fan yelled "The Yankees s--k. If you weren't so old, I'd beat the c--p out of ya." Didn't sound like we were being "left alone" at all. Red Sox fans are just a very bitter bunch - I would be too, I guess if my team had been humiliated year after year. I never wear my Yankee cap once I am outside of Fenway Park - too risky.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Out of 37,000, one drunken idiot. Those odds aren't that bad.

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Sat in bleachers with husband and 14 year old daughter for final Red Sox home game of season - against Yankees. Many Yankee-garbed fans. Two or three were getting "picked on" - but as with many fights, the blame was evenly distributed between Red Sox and Yankee fan involved in verbal exchanges. Never saw a Yankees fan who sat, minded their own business get picked on.

We were sitting 2 rows in front of a drunk who, whenever a play was made, would scream Nomar Suxxs - so there is no accounting for the depth of idiocy one might find at a ball game.

One thing I have noticed at Fenway in past 2 years is that the level of enforcement of fan behavior is much stricter. I saw one guy with an especially offensive t-shirt being asked to turn it inside out. Also, ushers, security, and ultimately police really try not to let skirmishes get out of hand.

I appreciate that, since years ago one would actually fear for their safety on some weekend night games. Still - it is a sporting event, not the opera, and as long as yelling does not personal to spectators, really obscene, etc. - it is easy to ignore. Most drunks stop if they get no response.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM
gc

I used to bring my son's little/junior league team to Yankee Stadium to see the Sox-yanks. We're big red sox fans...wore it, showed it, and never had a problem in the bleachers.

Lots of good natured fun, smart alek remarks, but never a problem. I'd do it again in a NY minute.

Sox in six.