Search

Xmas in GA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmas in GA?

We are a family of 4 (kids are 10 & 13); we live in South Florida & are looking for a place to go to get a more traditional holiday setting. What about Stone Mountain GA area? We would be driving up from Florida...anyone know how long from W.Palm area to Stone Mountain? Also, if we went further north to North Georgia (picturing a cabin w/fireplace & jacuzzi...) is there a chance of snow? What about temps & Stone Mtn &/or N. GA? Is it going to be desolate that time of year? Will there be anything going on? THANKS!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Snow in the North Georgia Mountains can be pretty hit-or-miss, especially around December. But it will still be cold and have a very Christmasy-type of atmosphere. There are two cabin rentals I would recommend.
l. Black Bear Cabin Rentals. www.blackbearcabinrentals.com
We have stayed here for years and have never been dissappointed.
2. The Last Resort
www.thelastresort.com
There are also lots to do around these areas, and you're not that far from Chattanooga and the great aquarium.
West Palm to North Georgia would probably take about 8 or 9 hours.(I'm just guessing here).
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM

No advice - but you just gave me my morning laugh. We live in Boston, it snowed 5 inches on Friday, and you are LOOKING for snow. People here are planning for or hoping for a trip to your part of the country in the next few months to get away from snow!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

what do they say...the grass is always greener! ha ha. Believe me, we did our time up there & love it here; just wanted a bit of a classic xmas since our kids are bugging us for some snow!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM

I live in north Georgia and can see the mountains from my neighborhood. I would try Highlands or Cashiers NC. I love that area and you can walk around the shops and lovely restaurants.

Not sure you will find much to do in GA - although some of the tiny towns - Ellijay and Dahlongea have areas you can walk around and buy touristy things.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Ditto Ellijay and Dahlonega. However, Asheville, NC is really like a Thomas Kinkade Xmas. We spent the holiday there 6 years ago and we even had snow.
Nancy
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:21 PM

West Palm is about 11 hours away from us, and we're about 1 to 1.5 hours away from North Georgia, so 12 to 13 hours would be my guess. To get to Stone Mountain, about 10.5 to 11 hours would be my best guess.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:59 AM
GoTravel

It took us around 10 or 11 hours to get from Palm Beach to Atlanta. It is a horrible drive because it is all interstate except for the time you spend on the turnpike.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Isn't Stone Mountain just outside of Atlanta? I wouldn't see that as a place to spend a few days at Christmas. Go further north maybe into North Carolina as suggested by others. A couple of years ago I took a little trip with my Mom who lives in Atlanta. We drove up to Helen, GA and had lunch and poked around into some shops then on to Highlands & Cashiers, North Carolina. We stayed at a resort in North Carolina that had a main lodge but you could also rent out houses. We rented a nice two bedroom house in with fire place, very comfortable and had that cabin feeling. Situated among tall trees and you felt rather secluded. I wish I could remember the name of the resort. If you stayed in the lodge it was all inclusive with meals. I don't think the lodge rooms had television or phones. There was a huge fireplace in the lobby area. It reminded me of one of those resorts like in the Dirty Dancing movie.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:08 PM

ITA with the suggestions of Highland, Cashiers or Asheville NC. I live in Atlanta. Stone Mountain is fun for about 6-8 hours, and that's it. A place to spend a day but not worth driving from West Palm for it.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:55 PM
E

I have posted more than once about the horrors of Helen, GA, and feel compelled to do so again, but I'm not disagreeing with paige. She's right--lunch and a quick walk through Helen would be fine, but then, move on, as staying there or near there is the pits. If you do stop, seek out the authentic german restaurant/gift shop--good food, and wonderful coffee. Then flee!! ;-)
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 10:18 PM

I agree with others north GA is nice but not ideal for classic white Christmas cabin scene. There isn't a lot of snow in the highest mountains and your chances of white Christmas there isn't likely. And absolutely not for Stone Mountain. It'll be cold especially for a Floridian but not cold enough to snow And yeah Stone Mountain is nice but it's still basically a suburb of Atlanta it should be stopping point not a destination.

I say head further north go to North Carolina for a more classic Christmas postcard scene Or you could try the Smoky Mountains. or better yet West Virginia now that'll be long drive but West Virginia is beautiful and your chances of seeing snow are likely. Very picturesque and the kids will be more likely to have their first snowball fight there.

As far as questioning someone wanting to see snow I can totally relate. I've lived in Georgia my whole life and I love snow. It's a rare treat and Georgia kids love it because the slightest chance of snow means no school. I've seen them close schools for snow when it didnt' snow a half inch. ANd I think one time they closed it and it wound up not even snowing. I guess when you see it all the time it's just white cold stuff but for someone from Georgia or Florida it's rare and for a native Floridian I imagine just something that only happens on tv.

But north Georgia is nice and if just for a shorter drive stay there and enjoy the scenary just don't go expecting snow.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 11:56 PM

Paige: Was the "lodge" High Hampton?
It's a great place to take the family in Cashiers. Not inexpensive, though on european plan.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:04 AM

Yes, it was High Hampton. I also thought the lodge was expensive, but renting out the individual home was quite reasonable.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:58 PM

I'd definitely go a bit further to N GA rather than staying at Stone Mountain Park.

There are tons of rental cabins with fireplaces/ jacuzzi/ etc. Do a google search or look at vrbo.com.

You aren't likely to get snow, but there's always a possiblity. Rabun County GA got three snowfalls before Thanksgiving a few years ago. Even if there is no snow, you will enjoy the nip in the air compared with South Florida.

I like Rabun County, on the way to Highlands and Cashiers. You may want to see what the rentals opportunities are in Sky Valley - they have a tiny ski run there - the southernmost ski run in the US. It is tiny though.

North Georgia would be a great option for you for a different Christmas experience than West Palm. Try mapquest.com to get drive times.

Is it going to be desolate at that time of year? Well, it depends on what you want to do. I've spent the last several Christmases in a cabin in North Georgia and I love sitting around the fire, relaxing, reading, hiking, visit waterfalls, etc. If you want to "do" more than that, you may want to stop for a night or two in Atlanta before heading up for quieter options.

Stone Mountain is decorated nicely for the holidays. Check their website. You could go downtown to see the lights there, ice skate, and visit the Coke Museum.

Just some ideas. Have a great trip!