WS Ferry to the San Juan Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Washington State Ferry has their summer schedule posted and we plan on leaving in the morning from Anacortes to Orcas. The two times they have are 5:35 AM and 7:40 AM. We are going in July on a Monday and know all about the crowds in the summer time, but never experienced YET. Just wanted to know if I should try to get on the 5:35 AM to avoid the crowds or would the 7:40 AM be about the same or a more popular time to depart. Obviously, no guarantees here, but I would like to hear from anyone who has traveled the WS Ferry to the Islands in the summer and who could make a suggestion. THANKS!
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Hi jojo, have family members that live on the San Juan Islands, on Friday Harbor. Haven't been there for awhile however. If I were you I would take the 5:35am ferry. Enjoy your visit.
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Monday morning going to the islands you shouldn't have any trouble no matter what time you pick, though I'd still aim to get there an hour in advance (I have, however, driven right on to the ferry a ton of times, even in the summer, on weekdays). But, what you can do to make sure is to look at the "wait times" link on the WSF ferry website for Anacortes a few days before you leave. This will tell you the wait time for the next ferry, so you'll have to remember to look at the site early in the morning before 5:35 and 7:40. This will give you an idea of how long the wait is at that hour.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Christy1: Do know how far in advance before the ferry departs would the wait times, if any, would be posted on the website? Is it several hours before just so I know when to check.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Even with family on the other side of Puget Sound, we seldom take the ferry because we don't like the long waits that may be result for any number of reasons. Washington has a lot of great places that you can visit without dragging yourself out of bed at 3:30 a.m. to get in ferry line.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:12 AM
dona

We used the WSF extensivley last July/August on our vacation. We always got to the ferry approx. 1 hour before sailing and always made it on the ferry with no problem. We left Anacortes to go to Orcas on a Monday morning and took the 7:30ish am ferry, getting in line around 6:30 or so. As we were advised last year, bring a book, have some coffee and relax while you wait--a great way to travel I thought!

Old May 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

dona: Thanks for your reply. I was leaning towards the 7:40 AM sailing especially since I have two children, getting onto the 5:35 AM sailing would have been really hard. We are staying at the Ship Harbor Hotel located at the ferry, so getting to the ferry an hour before sailing will be convenient. I will check the WS Ferry web prior as christy1 recommended as well to see the wait time. Appreciate the feedback!
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
dona

We also stayed at the Ship Harbor Inn. You can see the ferry from the Inn. It's literally up the hill and around the corner from where the ferry leaves.

Old May 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM

A lot of people are in denial about the ferry system. It is a very inconvenient way to travel--especially in the summeer--unless your idea of a good time in sitting in a car waiting to board a ferry.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM

jojo7,

Are you taking a car? We left our car in Anacortes and had no trouble at all, just strolled right on. This was in July.

Folks with cars were having a much more inconvenient time of it.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:52 PM

Tuscanlifeedit:

Where can we park for a day in Anacortes? Plan to go to SanJuan Island to kayak for a day.
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

tuscanlifeedit:
We are taking a car on the ferry because we will be on Orcas for 5 days and I think it's too long to be without a car to get around. If we were going for only a day or two, I would leave it at Anacortes. As far as waits go, Monday through Thursday mornings heading to the islands are supppose to be a bit better and of course, the weekends being a total nightmare so I am prepared for the worst and hope for the best!
Clousie:
I know you can leave your car at Anacortes in the parking lot. Never did this trip but I am sure there are many people on this forum that can tell you where and how much if there is a fee.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM

Having traveled to the islands most of my life, including two years when I worked intermittantly on San Juan Island, I can say that with just a small amount of foresight (ie, avoid Fridays and Sundays), the ferry is the most wonderful, beautiful, and relaxing way to travel.