San Juan Island ferries

Search

San Juan Island ferries

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Juan Island ferries

The Washington State ferry system announced tonight that four steel-hulled ferries serving the San Juans would be taken out of service after their last run tonight because of cracks in their hulls. One run from Whidbey to Port Townsend will be shut down entirely.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM

One more reason we avoid the ferries whenever possible.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM

It is absolutely typical of Washington State Ferries to do something like this. They are the most mismanaged, least customer-service oriented agency I have ever come across. I know people who commute from Port Townsend to jobs on Whidbey, and vice versa. The suggested "alternate route", via the Kingston-Edmonds ferry, will add a couple of hours EACH WAY to their commute time. And to do this without any notice, one day before the Thanksgiving weekend rush...well, as I say, it's just typical of WSF.

Of course, Tim Eyman, our local tax-cutting-initiative guy, probably should share some of the blame as well. The ferry service has gone straight downhill since the passage some years ago of his motor vehicle license tab limiting bill, and ferry fares have risen astronomically.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Hello Bobmrg, having elderly relatives on Friday Harbor, does this affect their ferry schedule?
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

loveitaly, this morning's paper doesn't say anything about schedules...I would imagine that the ferry system web site would have been revised by this morning, but no assurances.

The TV news at 6:45 last night said that four ferries would be taken out of service, so, thinking about travelers who might need to change plans, I ran to my computer and posted; then the 10:00 radio news said that it would be two ferries...so much for TV news, where getting it first trumps getting it right. The paper this morning confirmed two ferries, and that the Keystone-Port Townsend run would be filled in by foot ferries, but not for a month or so.

Best answers will be found on the ferry sytem site or at www.seattletimes.com (or www.seattlepi.com).
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 10:15 AM

Thank you Bobmrg. I wish my elderly relatives would move to the mainland but they refuse to so their grown children have just resigned themselves to that fact.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and thanks again for the information.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:19 AM

These posts are a hoot; when we were in the San Juan Islands, we marveled at the speed and efficiency of the ferries compared to our own local ferries! Ours have gotten better, and your may have gotten worse.

And dear LoveItaly, You sound just like my daughter, who wishes her senior, if not elderly, parents would move from Nantucket to the mainland! We are just about to enter the period when we have only three ferries a day, and sometimes you can't get off, but we will almost certainly not leave until we go off in a box or urn! Islands get in your blood!
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:01 AM

Hi Ackislander, I understand your viewpoint but you don't know the situation with the family in Friday Harbor. I just had a talk with them the other night. And it is not good. Their children who have children of their own plus jobs or businesses are very stressed out due to the situation. And getting to the island is not a hop, skip and jump. The elderly relatives wishes are being honored of course but it is not the best of situations. But what is..is!
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:51 AM

Yes, my wife and I are at least in good health. We are 2 hours and 20 minutes from the mainland on the car ferry, an hour or so on the catamaran passenger ferry, 20 minutes by Cessna. The only problem is when really rough weather cancels the fast ferry, and people wind up getting medevaced by a private helicopter or Coast Guard helicopter and almost die of fright!
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM

Hi again Ackislander, it was not funny but the male in the family had a heart attack and was taken by helicopter to a mainland hospital. We were all so worried how he dealt with that. It turns out per him "oh it was a terrific flight, I wish I could get to the mainland by helicopter all the time". He does have a good spirit!! Take care.