Wow Factor!

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Factor!

We are 4 British girls in our 40s/50s heading to Manhattan. I have been before but the other 3 haven't.

I wonder if I could call upon you for some local knowledge on the following:

We arrive around 6pm and we are staying in Hamilton Heights. I want us to get to our apartment, freshen up and head straight out so that they can say 'We have arrived'. We will go by subway and I think that we pop our heads out at Times Square just to show them the bright lights and buzz of the place but then I want to take them back on the subway and head to a cool rooftop bar for pre dinner drinks, then somewhere for a bite to eat - buzzy and fun and more $-$$ than $$$. Not burgers. And then afterwards another rooftop bar before heading back.

Can you suggest some places please. Someone suggested Columbus area but we really don't mind as long as we don't have to queue as I don't want their first impression of NY being stuck in a queue for drinks/food.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I want us to get to our apartment, . . .
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:44 AM

I'll let others who know the area better chime in. However, I found this regarding the subway in the area:

"The 145th Street A and D station is horrible. There’s no elevator, and they’re not going to put one in even though they’re doing a major renovation of the station that will take years. What about the people with disabilities? It’s unconscionable. When I have my son in his stroller, I often have to walk to 125th Street where there is an elevator."
https://www.brickunderground.com/liv...milton-heights
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 12:48 PM

In NY you need $$$$-$$$$$. I go at least once a year, love it but it is pricey.
I use Uber quite alot, from where you are staying it looks a bit far out, maybe try Uber instead or as well as the subway.
Couple of nice rooftop bars
https://rainbowroom.com/bar-sixty-five/
https://www.thepresslounge.com/
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What airport are you arriving at?

I'm no expert just googling around but looks like it's over 1 hour (by car) from JFK to Hamilton Heights. Then another 1/2 hour Hamilton Heights in to Time Square. So it's already 8pm and you haven't gone to 1st rooftop bar, dinner, or 2nd rooftop bar yet. And another 1/2 hour to get back home after all this.

I think you have your arrival moments unrealistically overplanned
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 03:45 PM

Oh dear. reading this I have a few concerns
You are really far out and it will take you ages to get to Times Square.
Also, your apartment may not be legal. Hope you are aware of all the consequences of renting an illegal apartment.
I would book a hotel closer to all the sights.
NYC is really expensive. My son lives there and every time I visit, i spend quite a lot. Very hard to do it on a budget.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 05:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Alma ? Brooklyn's Premiere Mexican Restaurant Maybe chill the first night till you get settled. Uber or Lytf if you decide to go into Times sq. My niece always stays at The Jane Hotel if something goes wrong with the rental. I know four friends that came for Westminster dog show from London last year and rented. I am not going there. They did ok and my family rent in Brooklyn if there is a wedding or event. Have fun planning. It is expensive but the pound exchange will help a bit. I just booked four nights in London and was not as bad as NYC prices.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 07:21 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You are WAY up there and I'd be concerned about whether or not your apartment is legal. I'd start working on a hotel that's closer to Times Square.

I think you are planning too much for a first night with a 6pm arrival. I'd go to Sylvia's for a later dinner and save Times Square for the next day/ night.

Be safe.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 08:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless you are staying at a friends/relatives place and its free -- I'd cancel that place ASAP and find something 1) more central, and 2) legal. Even if that is a free/friends place -- the plans for evening one are really difficult.

Travelzoo often has really good deals on Manhattan hotels.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for the Jane. The singles are tiny and the bathroom is down the hall, but the price is low and the location great. Walking distance to Greenwich Village, handy subway stop.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 03:18 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The Hampton Inn Times Square North is in a great location, close to Times Square, Broadway shows, a great rooftop bar nearby, walking distance to so many things and close to lots of subway options. The rooms are big enough for 4 to share and there's a free breakfast. Think of the travel time you'll save. Bite the bullet, pay more but get so much more in return. If you want WOW, you don't want the HH location. I can't imagine the amount of coordination it will take to get 4 ladies to/from that location. If you stay anywhere that has lots to see just out the door, one or two can wander and enjoy being in the city while the others finish getting ready. If you stay in HH, you're basically joined at the hip and have to move en masse at every turn. For another option that may work, check out the LaQuinta by Wyndham Central Park. Those three = Jane, Hampton Inn and LQ are in 3 very different locations but would each give you a much better trip. Also check out the Hampton Inn Chelsea.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 08:18 AM

The Press Lounge does have good views.

It's in a Kimpton hotel. We stayed at the hotel and visited the rooftop bar a couple of times.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Empire Rooftop at Lincoln Center would be easy by subway. A few blocks away is Magnolia Bakery, open til 10pm, midnight on Fri & Sat.

If you're not arriving until 6pm I wouldn't spend time going to Times Square and back that first night.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 03:02 PM

It won't take "ages" to get to Times Square, it's about a 20 minute subway ride from 145th St. I never use elevators in metro or subway systems anyway, so wouldn't give a hoot about that factor.

I personally wouldn't want to stay way up there myself, though, but it's not the end of the world. I'd probably head closer than Times Square myself the first night given the late arrival. Yoiu can do taht later. I have never been on a rooftop bar in Manhattan, just ones at top of buildings with views of Times Square (some major chain hotel in that area, nothing that special). I agree with Clark re better idea. I don't get the rooftop bar thing, unless you are in some amazing place with ocean views or something worth being on the roof for.

Not sure if Clark is referring to the Empire HOtel, but I think so. It's across the street, it isn't part of Lincoln Center.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 07:31 AM

I agree, the short term rental might be illegal! You could be evicted, fined, deported, etc. Go to a hotel instead.
As for drinks, go down to Wall Street, lots of holes in that hood.