Reload this Page >

Would you travel the week of Sept.11?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Ana

I have to travel on business to Philadelphia. My options start during the second week of Sept. on.
If I go that week, Sept.11 is right in the middle.
I come from a very warm climate, so if I go later, I'm afraid of the cold weather.
Any thoughts or comments?
Ana

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:30 AM
x

Ana: If you are afraid to fly that week, don't. I personally have no reservations about flying either that week or that specific day.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:00 AM
mare

Why not? Even on September 11, 2001.....99.99999 percent of the people who traveled that day were perfectly safe.

The odds are certainly with you!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:45 AM
WhyNot

Why wouldn't you fly on September 11th?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Ana

Not that I wouldn't fly the 11th., it's the whole week that bothers me. I saw on the news what happened in the S.Fco. area recently. I know it's just paranoid behaviour on my part, just wanted some reassurance or personal thoughts on part of others.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:59 AM
OO

I'm flying 9-11. Am not particularly keen to be doing it on the one hand, but on the other sense it might be the safest day of the year to board a plane. Oh yes, we're flying up to Newport on the 11th, and on Friday the 13th, moving down to Mystic for the rest of the weekend. lt; Do we have a death wish?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Dr Freud

Afraid to travel? Afraid of the cold? Do yourself a favor Ana, take a sabatical and find a good shrink.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Debbie

AH, Dr. Freud, so nice to have you aboard.

If you're this rude to perfect strangers on Fodor, your family has it's hands full!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Dana

I have to fly to San Francisco near Sept. 11. I decided to avoid that day
totally. It's not because I think there
is a chance of being hijacked, but I think the airlines will be cancelling flights right and left (claiming "mechanical difficulties"). Also there is a good chance of any stupid incident, say a phoned bomb threat shutting down the entire system for nothing.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Ana

Last year we flew to Europe on Sept.15 regardless of what had happened. The security was tight, specially in France, but things had not evolved as they have since. I imagine security will be tighter that week.

There is so much violence everywhere, that it's a weary excercise for those of us who can't imagine minds of such nature. I also can't imagine why anyone would benefit from being rude in a board that has been created to help others.

Nevertheless, taking into consideration all of your kind comments, and that I have no winter clothes (as I stated I come from a very warm climate year round), I have decided to travel on Sept. 8 and take it in stride.

No death wish for me either OO, and thanks Debbie; Whynot; mare.

Ana

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Roger

Yes, but only by car. I will be taking a week starting the weekend after Sept. 11. Sorry I didn't arrange to be on vacation the week of Sept. 11. I'm already tired and bored with the hoopla.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:41 AM
jane

Ana, did you check the weather report? I live in Boston, and it is 101 degrees today. The entire month of September in Philadelphia is usually well into the 80s, so I think you can leave that sweater at home.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:09 AM
rec.travel.air

What sweater? I only wear thong bikinis, as I am from a very warm climate.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Ana

nice touch Dr. Seuss

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Lori

I'm not afraid to fly, and will basically fly anywhere, anytime. But I will not fly on September 11 out of respect for the dead.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:19 AM
darvy

Lori, you nitwit, flying would be the exact thing these deceased people would want you to do. They wouldn't want you cowering from the very thing that killed them.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:22 AM
From the Dead

As a dead person, I resent those who will be flying on Sept. 11. Stay at home and oray for my soul.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Bea

Like the service announcements say..."The best way to fight terroism is to live our lives"

Terrorists made Sept. 11, 2001 a day of fear and horror. Lets not do the same thing to ourselves on Sept. 11, 2002.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:28 AM
x

The only way you flew to Europe last year on Sept 15 was if you left from Canada or Mexico. All flights in the USA were grounded at that time.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Bea

Like the service announcements say..."The best way to fight terroism is to live our lives"

Terrorists made Sept. 11, 2001 a day of fear and horror. Lets not do the same thing to ourselves on Sept. 11, 2002.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -