worth staying on-site at Universal?

Jul 18th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Susie

worth staying on-site at Universal?

We're traveling to Universal Studios in Orlando over Christmas vacation. Is it worth staying in one of the on-site hotels? If so, which one is recommended?
Thanks!

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:01 PM
florida bound

We are going in October and after all the research I did we are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel because of the "front of the line pass" you get for Universal Studios, plus we got very good feedback on the hotel itself.

Jul 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
pcw

Just returned from a trip to Orlando in June. We stayed at the HR Hotel and loved everything about it. The Front of the line pass was definitely worth it. We never waited more than 5 min. for an attraction. Also it was a very easy and beautiful walk to CityWalk, IOA, and Universal studios. We also walked over and had a look at Portofino Bay. It was very nice too. Have fun!

Jul 19th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Tricia

The Hard Rock hotel is closer to the IOA and Universal than The Portofino. It's a lovely 5 minute stroll. My family stayed there and loved everything about the place!
To answer your question, YES, it is so very worth the cost of staying on-site. The hotels are beautiful, and you can't put a price on the convenience! You will love the front-of-the-line perk!

Jul 20th, 2002, 04:29 AM
bev

Yes, it is absolutely worth it. We stayed at the Hard Rock last summer and the front of the line ("FOTL") perk is the best ever. People were standing in lines as long as an hour and we were on the ride in five minutes! The on-site hotels are lovely and you won't be sorry - especially at Christmas!!

Sep 30th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Dan

I had the same question. We are thinking of staying at the new Royal Pacific hotel in Universal. Is the extra cost of staying on-site worth it for the front of the line pass?

Sep 30th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Nikki

Dan, the front of the line access is absolutely worth it. It makes the parks so much more enjoyable it would be hard to go back and do it the other way. And it may be possible to get more affordable rates at the on-site hotels. Read the Universal board at www.disboards.com for lots of information.

Sep 30th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Gail

It's worth it. Especially at holiday times. See if you can get any discounts for the dates you're going. They offer discounts for AAA, the Entertainment Book, Fan Club Cards, and Florida residents. The hotels are great and so convenient to the parks.
I agree with Nikki. Go to www.disboards.com and scroll down to the Universal message boards for loads of great information.

Sep 30th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Postal

I toured the Pacific Beach right after it opened and didn't like it as much as the Hard Rock or the Portofino.