Universal Orlando

Mar 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Universal Orlando

What is your opinion on staying onsite at Universal in Orlando? Did you think its worth the money? I have read many opinions on the Disboards? I just wanted some other opinions?
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM

To me, the only benefit was getting the fast pass (or whatever they call it) for being a hotel guest. However, on my next trip there, I found it was cheaper to pay the extra money for the fast pass access when I bought the park tickets and stay in a less expensive place.

On the other hand, if you enjoy staying out late at the CityWalk, then it might be worth it to be within walking distance of your hotel.
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
GoTravel

Yes, it was so worth it to us to spend the extra money and stay onsight.

We love The Hard Rock, The Portifino, and the Pacific Royale hotels so that in itself is a nice bonus.

Mar 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM

It is only worth the money, relative to WDW, for the short line access. Being able to skip the lines is a MAJOR benefit especially on something like Men In Black or Jurassic Park.

I might suggest that if you're staying for several days - and budget isn't your primary concern - spending two nights at Universal and the rest at WDW is the way to go with kids.

ALso, Universal is not the best park if your kids are under 5. They will not be tall enough for many of the better rides.

One warning, all the Universal Hotels charge for parking. I think it's at least $16 per night. Also, avoid being near the end of a the hall if at the Hard Rock. We stayed there last month for 3 nights and it got VERY loud as the party crowd came back from the bars.
Mar 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I think it is definitely worth it to stay on site at Universal. Look for discount rates on the hotels. There are discounts for AAA and for season pass holders. Also for Florida and Georgia residents and other things at different times.
The express access offered by staying on site is priceless. So is being albot to walk to the parks and City Walk.
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:00 AM

We were so glad we stayed onsite! We stayed first for 5 nights at WDW, then the Portifino Bay Hotel (PBH) for 2 nights. I wish we would have had 3 or more nights! Great, relaxing atmosphere! A variety of very good restaurants. We ate at Tchoup Tchoup (an Emeril's restaurant) at the Royal Pacific Resort one night & at Mama Dellas at the PBH another night. I could be wrong, but I think that the fast pass access (or "front of the line") privileges for staying at an onsite hotel gives a person unlimited privileges vs the one purchased if staying offsite may only allow 1 fastpass access per ride (this may have changed, I'm not certain).
Transportation was really fun from the PBH to the parks too. We never used a bus or our car. We took the boat mostly, but also walked & twice got a ride from a rickshaw driver when it rained & the boats were temporarily not running. That was fun!
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:16 AM

mouseRD,
You are correct. Staying on site gives unlimited express access. The pass you can buy gives you ONE express entrance to each attraction.
As I said before...staying on site is priceless. YOu can just walk back to your hotel in the middle of the day and enjoy the pool and relax. Then walk back later to the parks. If you don't want to take the short walk, take the water taxi of bus.
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:55 AM

I think it's worth every penny. I just love going to the front of line.

I also think the onsite hotels are great. I particularly like Portofino Bay and Royal Pacific. Have stayed at both more than once.
Mar 18th, 2008, 09:18 AM

We'll be visiting WDW and Universal in June, staying at onsite hotels at both.

The room rate at the Universal resorts is more than I normally like to pay for a hotel, but for the front of the line pass it was pretty much a no brainer, especially at the time of year we'll be there.
Mar 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Staying on site is much better. The three hotels on site are cleaner and better maintained than the others within a few miles.

Plus your room key is used as a "Fast Pass" to all of the rides. This means that you get to by pass all of the lines and usually get right on the ride.

My wife and I Stayed at Portofino Bay, and with these "Fast Pass" room keys we were able to see everything at both Universal and Islands of Adventure in one day.
Mar 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM

If you stay on site for just one night, you will get two full days of unlimited express access!!
Mar 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Staying on site is huge at Universal for unlimited fastpass. However...IMO that is only valid at certain times of year. We have stayed off property and visited IOA and USF during off season and encountered NO lines. We had pre purchased the "one time through" fastpass which we didnt use once.
What time of year are you thinking?