World Series in Houston

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
World Series in Houston

HOw can I get from George Bush airport in Houston to Extende stay of america in Sugarland and from the hotel to HOuston Astros ballpark and back to the hotel
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
emd

I would rent a car. The distances you are talking about are long ones for cab rides, esp. the airport to Sugarland and back (although you don't mention going back to the airport, I am assuming you will need to do so). Otherwise, be ready for big cab fares.

I don't know of any airport shuttles from Sugarland to airport. Or shuttles from Sugarland to downtown where MinuteMaid park is. Maybe someone who knows the bus system can tell you if there is a metro bus that goes up Hwy 59 from Sugarland to downtown. I believe there is (or at least used to be) a shuttle that went from the Hyatt hotel downtown to the sirport. All of tht sounds like a big enough hassle to me that I'd just rent a car though.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info...there are no rental cars to be had due to the world series... is there a was to hire a driver???
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
emd

You mean no cars at the airport? Can you get to the Hyatt downtown or somewhere else downtown and rent a car there? I've rented a car at the Hyatt downtown location in the last few months (Avis I think). Have you checked that option? Or renting out in Sugarland area/59 South?

Otherwise, you might be screwed into taking taxis.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:24 PM

There is no public transport between Sugarland and Houston. The furthest you can go on a bus from downtown is the West Bellfort Park & Ride on US59, but buses only run during rush hours.

Cabs are pretty expensive for your trips because of the long distances. You just have to find a rental car somewhere, somehow.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:40 AM
emd

I guess I'd feel even worse for you if you weren't getting to go to the World Series! I think I might walk from Sugarland to downtown to see the Astros play this one.

Seriously, good luck. Like rkkwan said, I think you have to concentrate on finding a rent car somewhere besides the airport. There are rental car places out on I10, I've used them, so I imagine there must be some out I59 south. Hurry though!

Go Astros!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

there was one car available at the airport for 120 a day... I can get a driver who will pick me up at the airport to the hotel and take me back and forth to the ballpark for less than that , so I guess that is what we will do... thanks for your help...go white sox....
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
emd

Well, I hope the car service works out ok. And I guess the best team will win. Good luck being a White Sox fan in Houston. You might need more luck in that way than you did in the transportation area...

Regardless, have a great time. It's a nice park. Maybe you'll get to see the train go toot-toot.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
emd

So geez plouise, how did it go? Did you crawl all the way from Sugarland to Minute Maid to watch the game?? How did you make out way out there in Sugarland at Extended Stay?

A seriously huge congratulations. As I said previously, the best team won.

And I hope your stay in Houston was fun, aside from the great two games there. Minute Maid Park is nice, right? Love that train, esp. when it toots for your team.