Reload this Page >

Working Out While Travelling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:12 AM
havkhones

This is an ongoing dilemma for me. 6 days a week when I am home I am either lifting weights in my basement or on the treadmills and bikes at the gym.

When travelling, which I do a lot for work I miss my weight training. I still manage to get in some walking at a minimum while out of town, either using hotel fitness facilities or just taking a nice walk in a scenic area.

My question is, do you just skip your workouts while on vacation or travelling for work or do you shoehorn it in to all of the other activities you have going on?

I leave Tuesday 9/18 for Las Vegas on a business trip and am once again planning on missing my workouts.

Anyone else with this dilemma?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Statia

I substitute jugs of bottled water for my weights when traveling (if a hotel gym isn't available). Of course, they aren't as heavy, but it's better than nothing at all. There are also a variety of exercises you can do in your room.

I agree that it's hard to fit in a regular workout routine when traveling. I struggle with it, as well.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:04 AM
linda

My husband and I both consider this a priority. We try to choose resorts/hotels which offer fitness rooms. I have contacted local running clubs to find safe routes. He takes a "wheel" to do abs. I do Pilates exercises and pushups in the room.
I don't think it's good to get out of your routine if your body is used to it. In addition to being GRUMPY , it seems to make me more prone to injuries when I take big gaps from my routine.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:50 AM
danna

I usually work out MORE on a trip than I do at home, since i'm freed from those pesky house-related responsibilities.

Of course you can treadmill or sta bike at the hotel gym, but I usually hack up the cash to work out at a local gym, carefully researched. If you by chance belong to a Gold's, they will give you a card to get you in any Gold's in the country. Most other gyms will let you in for a fee. I've paid lows of $5 and highs of $25 at a frou-frou place in Manhattan. Hotel concierges will sometimes give you a jogging map.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:19 AM
craig

We too try to reserve at hotels with good fitness facilities. However, especially when travelling for pleasure, it is not always practical. Although we can usually get in a lot of hiking, biking or walking on our trips, weight lifting can be a challenge. I usually do several sets of push-ups. It's better than nothing and actually a good way to vary my work out every once in a while.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Peep

Have you ever tried those rubber "jump ropes" for a work-out? They weigh less than a pound so packing one is no big deal. You can stand on one end of them and pull the other end for upper body work-outs. Attach one end to a secured location (under a bed leg or door knob), slip the other end around one leg for lower body work-outs. They come in varying sizes of "rope" for easy, medium or hard work-outs.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:23 AM
DeeDee

I try to book a hotel with a gym. When free weights are not an option and I can't get to a gym, I will run a well lit area, do pushups, and work on my abs.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:18 AM
ck

I workout but have to admit I don't love it especially going to a gym. When I go on vacation, which for me is usually the beach type, I have much more fun walking on the beach and walking. Then when I come home I hate going back to the gym. I like the exercise bands for strength training workouts. You can get them in different resistances (tighter for harder workout). I'm not sure how guys feel about this but you can hit all of the major muscle groups with them.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Marie

I'n not as avid at working out as you are, but I do try to get to the gym at least several times a week. I joined the YMCA this year - and one of the main reasons I chose the Y is that it is nationwide. I live in Minnesota and have been able to use the YMCA's in Iowa and South Dakata at no cost. I think in some states I may need to pay $5, but it is worth it. You do need to be careful because some YMCA's aren't in the best neighborhoods, but most of them are pretty nice and have all the equipment you could want.