Work trip to King of Prussia/Philly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boss and I will be in Philadelphia one evening on Monday the 31st, flight arrives around 3:30pm. Is there any chance of seeing anything historic such as the Liberty Bell? Anything else you can suggest for that evening in Philly, or the rest of week nights in KOP, besides the mall would be of great help. Thanks
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to see Mutter Museum and/or Reading terminal but wonder if it will be to late. We don't drink, so some nice sights and a good cheesesteak would be good ideas.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phila. airport is quite hectic. If your flight is due in at 3:30 and yo have checked luggage, most of the sites will be closed by the time you're ready to leave the airport. If you're staying in King of Prussia, Valley Forge Park is right there. They offer tours or you could just drive in and park and walk around on your own. Do stop at the Visitors Center though.
Will you have a car??? What type of food do you like?? King of Prussia has LOTS of restaurants.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:58 AM

As previous post mentions, by the time you get your luggage (and, I assume, get a rental car) and get out of the airport , it's going to be well past 5 pm, so you won't get to see the Libery Bell, Independence Hall, etc., that day.

In KofP, Valley Forge is a good recommendation, but you'll want to do that during the day. Truth is, other than that and the mall, I can't think of a darn thing to do in KofP, other than go to restaurants. Maybe others can help.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM
emd

I lived in King of Prussia on Mon-Fri for 6 months for work. There is nothing to do there besides the mall and Valley Forge, although there are good dining options. You don't say if you have a rent car or are taking taxi/car service. Once you get out of the airport it is likely to be 4:30, and that is rush hour- you'll be in alot of traffic if you try to go straight to KOP then. I would suggest going into Philly and messing around somewhere til early dinner, but if you don't have a rent car then you'll have your luggage to deal with. Once I did this- made a reservation at a restaurant in Philly and they let me leave my luggage there in their coat check room for awhile before the reservation. If you have a rent car then you are ok, you can go into Philly, walk around the historic area or South St. area and then go to dinner. Avoid going to KOP til about 8 p.m. when traffic is gone.
There is decent dining in Radnor (adjacent to KOP; I was working in Radnor) and KOP. One especially good and nice upscale place right behind Wyeth Labs in Radnor, I'll try to find the name. Radnor has a nice small town feel and a main st. area that you can walk and shop on, and dine also. Much nicer than the hwy. that is basically KOP.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:19 AM
emd

The restaurant in Radnor is Passarelle. Google "PAssarelle Radnor" and you'll find their website w/pics & menus. And also liked the restaurant and bar at the Wayne Hotel.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:18 AM

For the record, Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are visible 24 hours a day (the latter from behind its window), and the area where they're located are completely safe at night if you take reasonable precautions. If you just want to see these destinations, you can do it any hour of the day.

Tours inside Independence Hall (which would include getting close to the Liberty Bell) are by timed tickets only. Check out

www.nps.gov/inde

for more info.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice. Yes we will have a rental car. I kick myself for not making an earlier flight out, but we will do what we can just walking around Philly until after dinner before heading to KOP thanks to yur advice. I did find after this post a halloween "cobwebs and cobblestones" tour through 'once upon a time' that sounds good and it's up to 8:30. Otherwise than the mall, we don't get out of work until 4:00 each day, so it'll be eats/ shopping and off to bed. We like Mexican, any options for this in KOP?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:20 AM
KEC

We did the "Lights of Liberty" show (it's at night) & it was fantastic! I have lived in or near Philly for most of my life & had never done that before. It is a tourist attraction, but you do get to learn some history & the show is fun. I don't know if it is open in the fall (we did it in the summer). It is all outdoors, so weather would be a factor.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to www.gophila.com to see what's happening after 5:00 in the city. There is good Mexican across the bridge from King of Prussia in Norristown. If you don't know the area, it could be tricky though. Where are you staying in King of Prussia? I have worked in King of Prussia for over thrity years and live right across the river.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Best Western right across from the mall.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
cmt

Valley Forge Park is right near King of Prussia Mall--just down the road. Then just beyond the park is Audubon, where you can visit the house (musuem) and estate of John James Audubon.