Woodstock area help

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woodstock area help

Hello,

I'm planning a surprise birthday trip for my husband in late May to
Woodstock. Neither one of us have ever been to the state and I would like some suggestions as to attractions, restaurants, and side trips. We will be flying into Manchester and renting a car. We will be in the area for four days. Thanks for your help. Nancy
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:29 AM

I assume you mean Woodstock Vermont?
The drive from Manchester New Hampshire to Woodstock is an easy one, about 2 hours. There is lots to do in the Woodstock area, particularly if you like the outdoors. Hiking possibilities in the area are endless, if you want a quick easy walk to a great view, walk the Mt. Tom Trail which starts downtown. Just realize that late May is the beginning of blackfly season. Woodstock has several interesting and charming shops and restaurants, some quite upscale and expensive. Definitely spend a few hours at Billings Farm Museum, and across the road at the Rockefeller estate. The Killington Gondola should be running, which is a spectacular ride. Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory is about 45 minutes away. Hanover NH, which is about 25 minutes east, is a picturesque college town with lots of good restaurants and a nice art museum. You can also drive to the summit of Mt Ascutney for a great view of both Vermont and NH. There is so much to do in this beautiful part of New England. Perhaps the most fun thing is to just explore the back roads that lace thru the mountains and valleys.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:56 AM

Zootsi has given you some excellent suggestions. I would add a visit {short drive} to the Queechee Gorge. You can hike down to the gorge; it's a pretty short walk.

Bentley's, right in town, is a good and popular restaurant, and the Creamery, across the street, has to-die-for ice cream {my favorite is pisachio}.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there anything you can do to protect yourself from black flies. I don't think I've ever been around them.

Yes, I was talking about Woodstock, VT. I'm sorry I should have made myself more clear. Are there any wineries or cheese factories to tour in the area?
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:03 AM

Sugarbush Farms isn't a cheese factory, but a dairy farm where they package the cheese they get from the cheese coop where they send their milk. It's not far from Woodstock and well worth the trip. The cheese is great.

At the Quechee Gorge, Laro's sells a local wine.

In the village of Quechee, Simon Pearce has a glass blowing factory - if you call a few people blowing glass a factory; you should go there if only to watch- with a restaurant in it. Lunch there is much more reasonably priced than dinner. Next door, the Parker House Inn also has good food and is much quieter but I'm not sure of their dinner schedule so call first.

Enjoy.

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:16 AM

There is a factory tour at Cabot Cheese in Cabot VT. For a loooong day trip you could head to Montpelier for lunch at the Main Street Grill operated by the Culinary Institute then head up Rt 100 thru Waterbury. Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory tour seems to be on everyone's list. You can also stop at Cold Hollow Cider. Across the parking lot in the next shop you can do a wine tasting. My husband preferred the wines at Boyden Valley Winery. Check the mileage. Maybe you could get an early start. It's between Stowe and Fairfax (closer to Fairfax in Cambridge).
Visit the Vermont Country Store. They have something you need there among the amazing assortment of goods!