Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont-what to see/do

We will be staying in Wilmington for
a week and want to browse Vermont and Hampshire. Recommendations of
things/places to do and see would be
welcome.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Do a search on Vermont for recent recommendations. Some of the things to do depend on time of year. Wilmington is near the Vermont Country Store. Head over to Bennington esp if you like antique cars (Hemmings). Simon Pierce in Quechee is a fascinating building to explore plus have lunch at the upscale restaurant. Go early for a table overlooking the falls. The southwestern corner of NH is the quiet area. It might be an hour and half drive to the Concord NH area - Shaker Village is Canterbury NH has great tours. We like to drive backroads in SW NH. Harrisville is an old mill town, very pretty. Peterborough is very artsy, great bookstore, very nice downtown. A drive thru SW NH via Rt 101 and then back roads to Concord would be very pleasant. You could aim for lunch in Manchester NH which has some terrific restaurants. NH's Lake Winnipesaukee and White Mountains are about an hour north of Concord. If you got an early start you could have a wonderful drive thru the mountains with time for lunch - visit the Flume but there is so much to see you might do better to plan an overnight in that area. We enjoyed Shelburn Museum in VT, plan on a full day there. Some people go for 2 days. If you want some outdoor activities there are lots of places that offer kayaking, etc. Since I garden I like to go on garden club sponsored tours to see private gardens. My husband prefers antique tractor events. What are your interests?
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Brattleboro's a fun town that is close by. Drive between the two is a very pretty scenic road with an outlook point at Hogback.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM

When are you coming?

I have to ask what KINDS of things or places interest you, too? Country sights? Mountains? Cheese-making, maybe? Antiquing? Or what?

Might help any of us if you can give an idea of your interests. I also second the idea of going on line and getting info about Vermont (and New Hampshire) in general.

We're retired here and adore our adopted state.

For openers, I think a visit to the Vermont Country Store would be fun. It sells all kinds of stuff, from gadgets to clothes to foods -- and the SAMPLES of all kinds of cheeses, spreads, etc. are amazing.

There are TWO Vermont Country Stores, really. The original store is in Weston, VT (Bryant House restaurant next door is nice for lunch.) The other store is on Route 103, maybe a mile from Exit 6, off I-91, which is the main north-south highway along the Connecticut River, between NH and VT.

Quechee Groge is a tourist attraction on Route 4. There are some shops there, but also a very big antigues place with a lot of different vendors, if that appeals to you.

Farther west a few miles on Rte 4 is Woodstock, VT, which is touristy, but has shops and things -- including Gillingham's General Store, just off the Main Street. (Gillingham's is one of those amazing places that has EVERYTHING you can imagine in the way of foods, wines, gifts, hardware, you name it. For example, I believe I remember a whole aisle with nothing but relishes, mustards and spices.)

Across from Gillingham's and up the street a few yards is Bentley's, which offers very nice lunches. (They may also offer dinners, but we have only eaten lunch there a few times.)

Do you plan to actually return to Wilmington every night? Or is that just a "base of operations"? Makes a difference, I think, in terms of planning how far to travel every day.

More info may lead to more suggestions.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM

If you like hiking, Molly Stark State Park has an easy hike to the top of Hogback Mountain.
www.mysecretvermont.com