Search

Wolf Creek Pass

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wolf Creek Pass

My brother is staying with me after surgery. This is the first time in our adult lives we have really spent time together, and are enjoying memories only he and I share. We found and have listened to his childhood favorite, CW McCall's "Convoy" CD from the mid-70's and have decided we want to drive "Wolf Creek Pass, way upon the great divide...." after searching the net found out where it was. Now we need advice. Looking at early summer, will spend the night in Pagosa Springs and do the pass the next day, slowly, to get it all in. Then stay the night in South Fork. Looking for suggestions on whatelse we could see, local restaurants, where to stay. I have done the search, now need opinions please. Thanx in advance. Since truckin' is the theme of our adventure, we will attempt to stay to that theme!!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

I realize there was not a CD in the 70's (I think it was an 8 track)and this is in Colorado for those who don't know!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:23 AM

We drove through Wolf Creek Pass a few years ago and loved it--not as spectacular as, say, Independence Pass, but beautiful and less discovered. We liked it enough that we've talked about getting a (summertime only!) vacation home in the area.

Right at Wolf Creek Pass, there's a small but pretty waterfall right by the road. If you like, I think you can hike to the top of it. Well worth the stop.

Pagosa Springs has an interesting oddity--a drive in motel! The motel is next to a drive-in movie theater, and the rooms all have big picture windows and speakers so you can watch the movie from your room. Certainly unique!

South Fork is a cute, walkable little town, with a few nice restaurants and a couple of shops good for browsing. We had a nice lunch there.

From South Fork, we drove towards Salida and then through Independence Pass to Aspen. A magnificent drive...you first go through a flat-as-a-pancake plain and then very gradually enter the mountains.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Oh Linda now you have given hubby a reason to want to go. What is the name of the motel, i will do a search as I missed that one. I hope it is still open. Thanks bunches.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I found it and it is still open wow thanks so much. Oh it is Best Western Manor Inn.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 01:33 PM

To be more precise, it's the Best Western Movie Manor. If your dates are flexible, you can call them a week or two in advance to find out what movies are scheduled (some real turkey was playing when we were there). You can walk over to the drive-in snack bar to get snacks to take back to your room!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM
gb

I thought the drive in motel was in Monte Vista
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I don't know how long you plan to be in the area but you will be close to Durango, Co. also. I have always enjoyed taking the old steam engine train ride to Purgatory. Durango used to have outlet shops there. It be several years since I have been there.

Pagosa Springs has a really good BBQ place, I don't remember the name tho.

Have Fun!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:45 AM

Movie Manor is in Monte Vista, east of the pass. We've eaten at the diner there (better than the motel). We've eaten a couple of times at a place called True Grits on the highway in Alamosa. True Grits seems like it would go well with your trucking theme.

At Pagosa, the hot springs are great. Not far away is Chama, NM, which has a train ride to Antonito. I don't like the scenery as much as the Durango-Silverton train, but it's more relaxed. For example, they'll let you hang out in the open areas between cars.

Just to the east of the pass, on the north side of the highway, there's a well-maintained forest road to the Big Meadows Reservoir, a beautiful lake with a nice hiking trail aroud it. You can also see the headwaters of on of the branches of the Rio Grande up there. The waterfall already mentioned on the west side is also worth a stop.

It might also be worth a detour from South Fork up to Creede and Lake City for more beautiful mountain scenery and a bit of the Old West. The Creede Repertory theater may be having shows by then.

Farther afield, but not far from Monte Vista, you can see the Great Sand Dunes National Monument (or park?)