Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Baltimore Inner Harbor Need Advice Leave on 2/28!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 12:56 PM
TVL
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading the boards and am confused. Any advice would be great!
1.The Marriott Inner Harbor (we have reservations)
Is it far away from the inner harbor on foot?
According to the post, the Marriott Waterfront sounds nicer but is the Inner Harbor not very nice at all?

2. Best Restaurant for Crabcakes- I read that Obrickeys(?) is really good but they do not reopen until March 2004.
Is Phillips a good restaurant for crabcakes?
Where else would anyone suggest?- I have been to McCor.& Schmks and would like to try something different.

Thanks for your advice!!! It is greatly appreciated!!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM

The Marriott Inner Harbor should be a nice hotel, but is about 6-7 blocks from Inner Harbor. It is closer to Camden Yard (Orioles Park) instead.

The Marriott Waterfront is on the other side of Inner Harbor, close to the Little Italy, and not too far from the ESPN Zone (restaurant converted from power station). However, it's even further on foot back to the original Inner Harbor restaurants/shops than the Marriott Inner Harbor.

If you want the best location, why not get the Renaissance Harborplace? It's belongs to the same group as Marriott, and it also has 4 AAA diamonds, just like the Harborfront. It is a lot older, and I can't tell you about the facilities and rooms. I'm only commenting on location.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:38 PM

The Marriott Inner Harbor is an average hotel. Nothing special, but certainly OK. However, the name is very misleading. The first time I stayed there I called and asked if there was a possibility of getting a harbor view. The clerk had a good laugh and said there was no such thing. Then she added, "you DO realize that we're not really in the Inner Harbor, don't you?" Now why would I realize that, based on the name??? It's sort of on the edge of the inner harbor, right by Camden yard. By the way, they have a very nice breakfast buffet.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:56 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Waterfront a last summer and it was great. It is somewhat between the Inner Harbor and Fells Point. Not really walking distance to either, but it is a short cab ride. If they are running (and I doubt they do in February), there is a water taxi you can take between the three points. I think you pay once and get a round trip. It isn't crab season (starts April 1), so any crabcakes you'll be eating are not going to be local crabs, but probably canned crab from another country. It is oyster season, so if you like those, you might try to find a decent oyster place. I think Phillips is a nasty tourist trap, but its always packed. Try looking at the www.chowhound.com message boards for DC/Baltimore for good dinner suggestions. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Here's an entire thread on chowhound discussing the best crabcake in Balto.

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic...ges/30518.html
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:20 PM

Obryckis is in fact closed unitl March 16th. Here is a 2001 tip sheet:
http://www.chowhound.com/writing/baltimoretip.html
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:07 PM
TVL
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I will check on the Renaissance Harborplace hotel!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Renaissance Harborplace hotel is normally pretty expensive but worth the money. Very good location. We don't like Phillips at all but some people like that sort of place. A good crabcake? !
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:37 AM

I would suggest you check out some place outside the Inner Harbor which are all very safe. Inn at 2920 in Canton, Celies Bed & Breakfast in Fells Point, Abacrombie fine Dining in MT. Vernon area. These are all alternatives to the big sterile hotels.

For Crab cakes the only two place I get them from is either Faidley's in the Lexington Market downtown Baltimore, or G&M Restaurant in Linthicum near BWI.

If you need more just email me at [email protected]

David
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:29 AM
TVL
Original Poster

Thank you to all of you for your input!
We had a great time! I was happy to see someone else recommend Faidleys in the Lexington Market we ate their on Saturday! It was great! We also ate at "Blue Agave" and had an incredible meal!! Plus the drinks were great! Thanks again!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:43 AM
emd

where did you end up staying?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM
TVL
Original Poster

We (2 adults) ended up staying at the Inner Harbor Marriott. It was an easy 5 blocks from the Harbor. Not on the water but for us it ended up to be perfect! We spent one afternoon/evening around the Inner Harbor but most of the time we walked around the area. We went to Lexington Market and the Federal Hill area and it was a good location. We will probably go back and stay at the Marriott waterfront and check out the Fells Point/Canton Area next time!