Wlimington NC for 5 days

Search

Wlimington NC for 5 days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Marybeth

Wlimington NC for 5 days

i,
We're staying in Wilmington NC for 5 days in Aug (2 adults & 16 year old son)in Landfall. Please give me ideas on what you would do with a teen including a beach day or two (Wrightsville or Kure?). Are there boat cruises of the area? Restraunt ideas? Thanks!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Dick

Marybeth,

Just returned from Wilmington a couple of weeks ago. The only recommendation I can make for your situation is make sure to tour the USS North Carolina. The kids will LOVE it, and you will as well.

Dick

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:25 AM
dan woodlief

I think there is still a small amusement center with rides at Carolina Beach (between Wilmington and Kure Beach), and you could visit Ft. Fisher at Kure Beach if your son has any interest in history. It was a large earthen fort and the site of a major Civil War battle. Definitely go to the battleship. There is also an aquarium near Ft. Fisher, but it is better for younger kids.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Marybeth

How about some restaurants a teenager might like, and what is the Landfall region like?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:40 AM
tommy

Landfall is a gated community of exclusive homes. Just outside "the gates" are some strip malls with nice shops and restaurants that cater to the residents of Landfall. It is closer to Wrightsville Beach than to Kure - just over the bridge in fact. I believe the area near the fishing pier is most popular with the surfer/teen age to college age crowd. Some good restaurants near there are the Dockside, where you can eat outside and watch the boats in the intercoastal waterway; the Oceanic, for oceanfront dining, and the Kiva Grill for southwestern.

There are boat tours of the Cape Fear River aboard a paddle wheeler, the Henrietta. I have never done it, so I cant recommend it or not. There is also a sightseeing cruise out of Wrightsville Beach - see http://www.cruiseinc.net
There are also a lot of party fishing boats in the Carolina Beach area.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:04 PM
clif

Aliegh's is several restaurants and a game room combined. It's very nice and I think everyone will enjoy it. It's near the Wal Mart on Market street. Also, at the Wilmington waterfront (Cape Fear River) there are lots of nice restaurants and and it's a popular place on Sunday afternoon (street performers, etc) Feel free to E-mail me if you'd like more info.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:18 PM
KNoel

Port Land Grille at Landfall is great--South Beach grill at Wrightsville is great too. Downtown, Elijah's is good--my daughter works there! Watch your speed on Lumina Ave at Wrightsville--got a ticket there last week!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Carol

We go to Wilmington, NC twice a year snf love it. Landfall is very close to Wrightsville Beach( maybe 2 miles) so thay is the beach I would go to. Fort Fisher is great if you like Civil War History. There is a Cape Fear Museum in Wilmington which we have been to several times. It really gives you a feel for the area. If you would like a great walking tour- Mr Jenkins( an older man with a straw hat and a cane). You meet him down by the visitor center which is across from the battleship NC on the waterfront in downtown Wilmington. There are many house tours which we have been on.All were good. The Oceanic Restaurant in Wrightsville Beach is a MUST. We love it. Enjoy.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Marybeth

Thanks everybody. Wilmington sounds like it's going to be fun. I'll definately check out some of those restaurants and activities. What about visiting those television studios? Are they open in August?

Also, we'll be going from Wilmington to Williamsburg, VA, is th ebest way just to go bakc up towards Raliegh, or is there a faster way?