How's Carolina Beach, NC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be traveling to Carolina Beach with my son and a friend of his (teens) in early July, '06. We have a condo at Paradise Towers booked. I picked Carolina Beach because it was affordable and we've never been there. We've been to Va. Beach, OBX, Oak Island, Myrtle Beach, Seabrook, to name a few, so this sort of rounds out our experience.

Anyway, wondering if anyone can tell me anything about Carolina Beach. I'm not finding a whole lot of information. I've read about a boardwalk and would like to know more about that. Any good places for the kids to check out? Good restaurants? Stuff to do? What is the beach like, and is it good for boogie boarding or is it too calm for that? I'm happy just sitting on the beach reading a book, but I'm hoping the teens won't be too bored.

Also, if anyone is familiar with Paradise Towers and proximity to any activity and/or grocery stores, etc., that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM

It's been a while since I drove through Carolina Beach (we live in Myrtle Beach), but I think you'll find it's a lot like Oak Island. There will be enough surf most days to boogie board.

Stuff to do? Go down to Fort Fisher and see the aquarium and/or take the ferry to Southport--neat little town. You could easily do a day trip into Wilmington (see the waterfront, that is, the Cape Fear River).
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM

I go to those beaches pretty often. I would also recommend the aquarium. Nearby Fort Fisher is worth a stop. It was the site of a major Civil War battle and has a nice but small visitor center. Watch out for mosquitoes there, but my parents were just at the fort a few weeks ago and didn't encounter any this time. The ferry is also a good idea. I would definitely go into Wilmington for a few hours one day. The U.S.S. Nort Carolina battleship is nice to visit at Wilmington, the waterfront is great, there are good restaurants (Try Elija's), and there is the Serpentarium (many of the most venemous snakes in the world on display - good for kids - kind of expensive though - right by the waterfront).
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

What about the "boardwalk" area? I tried to get a condo that was within walking distance, so I hope there's something to do there.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM

What are you expecting when you hear the term "boardwalk," lots of shops, restaurants, bars? Carolina Beach is not that kind of place.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

I don't know WHAT to expect with the boardwalk area. If there aren't shops and arcades, then what does the boardwalk area consist of? Is there anything for teens to do in the area after a day at the beach? Or should I plan on bringing plenty of games and puzzles?
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM

There are a few shops and maybe one arcade. There is a movie theater in town--we save that for rainy afternoons. How about a fishing trip?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd drop a note and let everyone know we had a great time in Carolina Beach. The beaches were beautiful, wide and very well maintained and the ocean was clear and gorgeous. The boardwalk wasn't what I expected (I expected it to be right on the beach with tacky shops, etc.) ... it was basically just a street with shops, ice cream and donut places, a small video arcade. It was fine. For about ten minutes. We had a couple of great dinners and a nice condo. It sort of reminded me of the OBX, but a bit more crowded. Not nearly as crowded as Myrtle Beach though. I'd recommend it as an affordable, quiet, laid back vacation.