Winter drive Seattle WA to Portland Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to drive my front wheel drive mini van from Seattle WA to Portland Maine in February. I have never driven a cross the United States by myself before and I am nervous. I have about 6 to 7 days to do it. What would be the safest route, and what suggestions do you have? Do I need snow chains? Help! Thank you!
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 12:46 AM

It all depends on the weather. You should carry chains and get your van checked out.

Any idea how far you can safely drive in a day? if you don't know, I'd just play it by ear- start out as soon as it's daylight, and then drive until you're tired and find a motel. Check highway reports before you start out each day.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 03:01 AM

Front wheel drive is pretty good. To be on the safe side, carry shovel, blankets, bottled watered and emergency snacks. You might not want to drive wearing heavy outerwear but have it in the car including good boots and heavy socks. Jumper cables. Flashlight. Cell phone charger.

Just stay off the road if road conditions are questionable. Even if you're a great driver, there are people on the road who are not. Driving about 8:30am on Sunday (it had snowed the night before) road conditions here in NH were fine but the sun glare was bad. My friend who was driving wished she had remembered her sunglasses. A visitor to NH on Saturday took 12 hours in the snowstorm to do what should have been 4 hours going home thru southern New England. It's just a waste of time and sanity to drive in poor conditions. Be prepared to wait it out in a motel.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 06:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you or that vehicle have to go to Portland Maine?
Are pets being moved? Are you moving to Maine and not coming back?
If it's just you, either fly or take Amtrak. We've had a pretty brutal winter so far across the northern tier of states. Stay safe.
If you must drive, have your tires checked at a Les Schwab and buy a set of tire chains from them.
My emergency food supply is a large container of peanuts with an orange knit hat stretched over it.
The Amtrak Empire Builder has had delays of up to 7 hours getting from Seattle to Chicago but they do get there eventually. If you do miss the connection to the Lake Shore Limited, Amtrak will pay for a hotel room in Chicago.
From Chicago the trains are Lake Shore Limited to Boston (train splits in Albany) and the Downeaster from Boston to Portland Maine. Count on 4 or maybe 5 days on Amtrak.
Flying, your best bet is a direct flight from Seattle to Boston and a rental car out of Boston.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 06:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
6-7 days in the winter is pushing it; you probably will encounter snow and/or strong winds at some point along the route. However, check the driving conditions forecast every morning before setting off and have a backup plan for detours if needed. Definitely carry chains and learn how to put them on and take them off. As for the route, I-90 the whole way to Boston, then north.

All that said, I just did a quick online search for quotes for auto shipping from Seattle to Portland ME (and also to Boston) and for most minivans the price comes back between $1000 and $1200 door-to-door.

Set that against roughly $120 per night for hotels x 6 nights (which I'd regard as minimum), around $450 - $500 for gas, and $150 for a one-way plane ticket, plus whatever additional it would cost you buying restaurant food vs. cooking at home, plus incidentals, and the dollar savings of driving over having the vehicle shipped are pretty minimal, or according to my math, negative.

Ordinarily I'd relish a transcontinental drive; I find them incredibly enjoyable and love to do them (have done a few.) But in February with a timetable? Ship that puppy.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not do it. I did drive cross country once to move from Vermont out to Seattle. But it was summer. And I had a friend with me.

Not alone, in winter, when you've never done it before. Yes you would definitely need chains, and other snow type equipment with you (shovel, sand/gravel/cat litter, etc.).

Honestly, I would look into any other option, like the excellent suggestion above about shipping the vehicle.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 01:26 PM

The safest route would be WAY out of your way. To drop down and go across the southern part of the USA then back up again. Would be the only way to avoid driving in winter weather.

Even before you get out of Washington State, you could be facing passes that are closed due to weather.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 05:58 PM

I did it when I was young and foolish, but I wasn't alone.

I don't think heading south makes any sense, it's more days and more chances to hit snow, rains, floods, tornadoes, and it would take you more than 7 days.

Taking a northern route means driving about 8 hrs per day if you have 6 to 7 days. 5 hours, then a lunch break, then 3 more hours. It might not sound difficult but its tough on the eyes and tough on the butt & the back. Budget about $500 for fuel and $100 for tolls along the way. Make sure you've got AAA or an emergency tow plan, and credit card funds to cover any unforeseen repairs/delays.

I don't think you need chains, but you need to map out a mostly freeway-only route and then check ahead each evening to see what lies 2 hrs ahead weather-wise as well as 4 hrs & 6 hrs & 8 hrs ahead. You'll probably have to hunker down somewhere or other for 24 hrs, waiting out a storm, so if 7 days is your absolute maximum, it could be iffy.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 06:20 PM

Maybe you could find a friend to drive with you at least part of the way. Even just day one might give you some confidence. Then buy them a $99 ticket back from Billings Montana. Or if they can take 2 or 3 days off to accompany you, buy them a ticket from somewhere further along....like Des Moines.

With a partner you'll be able to drive maybe 3 more hours each day those first couple of days which will help, not to mention having company. You might end up cutting one day of driving off your trip if you can go further on those first couple of days, so the savings of one motel night will help offset the cost of the air ticket back to Seattle.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 07:29 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if Michelle is going to come back and read our suggestions. As for Debbie's suggestion the Amtrak fare for a coach seat from St. Paul MN to Seattle is $135 for a saver fare. It is scheduled for 38 hours but there have been some delays with the brutal cold in ND and MT.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

You guys are all so awesome! Thank you for the amazing advice! I've decided to follow your advice and not do it! I'm going to ship my van and fly. LOL I'm too scare I won't make it in time. I love taking road trips so maybe sometime during non winter months I'll try it. Any suggestions on the most reputable transport company? Love you guys! Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 10:04 AM

MUCH better idea
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 10:25 AM

You didn't really answer my questions. Are you coming back to Seattle or are you moving to Maine?
Consider the value of the minivan when deciding to ship it. Since you are flying, consider renting a car and then shopping for a vehicle in Maine if you are staying for a long time.
I do know that there was a car in the ABF "UPack" truck when I moved from PA to OR. Get a quote from at least 3 different companies before deciding. Are you really emotionally attached to that minivan and will it serve its purpose well in Maine?
If you are coming back to Seattle and don't have a need to be back quickly consider taking the trains back to Seattle.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes, I will most definitely be back in Seattle. I will be going back and forth to both states as I work in both! I have a car I'm leaving in Seattle for my return trips and the van is paid off and has very few miles on it, I thought about selling it but I can't find the value of what the car is actually worth.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 03:54 PM

There's an old fodors thread that recommends "Magic Carpet Auto Transport".

And here's a list of other auto-ship companies:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_trans/#