Drive Time from Boston to Portland, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking a trip out to Portland over July 4th but we'd like to spend a day or two in Boston on the front and back ends of the trip. We'd fly into Boston, and then, drive to Portland. Mapquest says this is about 100 mile drive-- how long should this take? Just wondering about road conditions, traffic, etc. We'd either leave Boston on a Saturday night (around 9pm or so) or early on Sunday morning (need to be in Portland at 8:30 AM on that Sunday). Any advice is appreciated!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:35 PM

Route one to 95 north. Real easy. 1:30-1:45. Easy drive. I would go for the early morning drive myself.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM

That time of year, an hour and forty five minutes to two hours. Traffic can get pretty backed-up along that route, but either that late or that early should be fine. I like a morning drive myself. Have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM

You can easily get hung up at the Hampton Tolls on 95 - I say count on 2 hours. I drive to Portland fairly regularly and it takes me 1 hr 15 from the Mass/NH border.

Right now 95 in Mass. is a mess but they are in the process of repaving (very unusual in the dead of winter). Hopefully it will be completed by summer but you never know.

When you do make the drive tune your radio to WBZ for traffic reports.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd leave around 8pm at night so that I could stop at Richardson's Ice Cream Route 114 Middleton. They wouldn't be open that early in the morning and it's a don't-miss-place. Try the chocolate fudge brownie ice cream or the toll house cookie ice cream or the butter pecan or the...............
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think we are leaning towards just leaving early on Sunday AM and enjoying a full night in Boston.

Clarkg- thanks for the heads up on the ice cream shop-- we will be driving back to Boston on the tail end of our trip and will look for it then.

Thanks everyone!
Jane