MA - where to overnight???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next Tuesday I'll be leaving Boston about noon for Maine, arriving the next day in Rockland about 2pm. I want to stop in Lexington and Concord on the drive up, then late in the afternoon Tuesday pick a spot to spot in between. Any suggestions on what town and / or what hotel or B&B???? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:14 PM

Um, Lexington and Concord aren't on the way to Maine, they're west of Boston. If you leave Boston at noon and spend any time at all in Lexington, you'll be in Lexington late on Tuesday afternoon. So are you really asking about a drive to Maine from Lexington starting late in the day on Tuesday? Cuz you'll be in the middle of rush hour.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:02 PM

Best bet is to decide how long you wish to drive from Lexington/Concord - and whether you want to arrive in time for dinner, a bit of night life.

No matter where you decide to sleep for the night along the way, you can hardly go wrong.

Portsmouth, NH might be a good spot. About an hour from Lexington and two hours from Rockland. Fabulous dining and nightlife and all sorts of accomodations.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:31 PM

I can recommend the York Harbor Inn. You would have about a 2.5 hour drive to Rockland next day, or on scenic Route 1 more like 3.5
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 02:27 AM

Head out of Boston on Route 2. Stop at Summer Shack (Cambridge - Alewife area at beginning of Route 2) for lunch. Then hop on Route 2, drive to Concord. (less than 30 minutes). Backtrack on Route 2 to Lexington (10-15 minutes).

Stay overnight in Lexington - there is a hotel right in downtown (when I have had my coffee I will remember the name and post it here). From there you can walk to a number of decent restaurants.

Have a nice breakfast in the AM and do not leave before 9:30 AM or you will hit rush hour, which will be especially bad next week because everyone heads back to school.

Head up to Maine - check mapping programs but you will probably go Rte 2 to Rte 128 to Rte 95.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:01 AM

The hotel in the center of Lexington is the Battle Green Inn. There is also a Sheraton Lexington, which is at the Rt. 2A/I-95 intersection - more convenient to the highway, but more remote and expensive.

Because of my fond memories of Jasper's original, and excellent, restaurant in Boston it pains me to disagree with the Summer Shack recommendation, but the food is nasty, with decor to match (just about all of it left over from the old Aku-Aku days, and not improved by the passage of time). You'll do better if you hold off until you get to Concord, where you can try Walden Station on (you guessed it) Walden St.

If you do stay in Lexington, the way out will be on Rtes. 4/225, which means you will take a right at the Minuteman statue just before Lexington green. A few miles brings you to I-95 (formerly, and forever to locals, Route 128) where you can head north. I wouldn't worry about the time too much - I travel that stretch often during morning rush hour and the traffic always moves along OK.

Actually, I like djkbooks recommendation about staying in Portsmouth, which has become one of the more interesting communities in the area with numerous excellent restaurants and intersting shops. If you take that option, visit Lexington first, then head to Concord by taking the left at the Minuteman statue, crossing I-95 in a couple miles, thence right onto Rt. 2A, which goes through the historical park and follows generally the line of march of the British troops to Concord after the battle at Lexington green. You can return from Concord to I-95 on 2A and head north - however if it's late afternoon you definitely will be fighting rush hour traffic headed north, so that's a problem with the late start you're planning.