Search

Delawar to Maine-Windjammer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM
djm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delawar to Maine-Windjammer

Going to try a Windjammer 4-night cruise out of Rockland Maine for the first time w/my husband. Date is August 20-24. Since it takes about 9hrs to get there from DE, we thought we do half way and stop for the night. Need some ideas where would be a good half way/or so place to visit and stay over. We probably will do this on the way back also, since there is so much traffic and road construction in the summer months. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM

Although it's only 2 1/2 hours from Rockland, you might consider Portsmouth NH. It's right on Rt 95. Commuter traffic in the morning will be heavy but you could have a leisurely breakfast and make another stop or two in Maine before you get to Rockland assuming you can't board until the afternoon. There's a lot going on in Portsmouth esp during the summer plus there's great restaurants. Going home will be extremely heavy traffic on Rt 95. In general we avoid NYC and Boston at all times. Not sure what I would suggest for the route home.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM

I drove to a meeting in Rockland from York Harbor one summer, a weekday. It took me over 3 hours. Mapquest had said 2-1/2. It's a rough drive once you get onto the smaller roads. Portsmouth may be a good choice, but to be safe I might suggest closer...Portland maybe.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:45 AM

It looks like northern Connecticut is about equal distance between the Delaware border and the Maine border.

If so, Mystic might be a good spot, especially with the nautical theme of your trip.

If looking for more action, Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods are a reasonably close drive from I-95. I'm not a big fan of either but clearly some are.

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
djm
Original Poster

We are to get together w/windjammer passangers at 6pm on the evening of August 20th, stay aboard and leave the next morning. So, we were thinking of leaving early on the 20th and driving straight thru - but with traffic I was thinking of leaving on the 19th-staying over half way and take our time on the 20th getting there in time to board. And we would do the half-way stop on the way home. Do you think driving to Rockland from DE in one day is toooo much? thanks
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

I think that would be a LOONG drive.

Have fun on your Windjammer! I can't wait to do another one. Best vacation ever.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
djm
Original Poster

Since you've been on one - can you give me any tips? Did you do more than 4 days?
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM

Our trip was in 2001 for our anniversary. I think we did five nights? Maybe six? My suggestions are to relax, take a good book, lots of sunscreen, a good hat, some binoculars, a journal, a good pillow, and enjoy the time on the boat. Remember it's a very laid back casual outdoorsy vacation and not the QEII. Leave the cell phone in your car! Or at least in your cabin.

We did have trouble buying alcohol for the trip in Camden, the clerk (maybe 18 years old, and full of himself) refused to sell to us since we had out of state licenses. That was a long time ago, but if BYOB is important to you, stop somewhere before you get to town. (We are still puzzled by that, how a tourist town could prosper with that kind of attitude).

If I think of anything else, I'll let ya know.