Search

Winery's in Albuquerque

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Lu
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winery's in Albuquerque

Going to Santa Fe in June for 4 days and noticed the winery's on the map in Albuquerque, was wondering if some are worth a stop on our way to Santa Fe. Would appriecate any feed back.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM

The only one I've run across that is any good (consistently)are the sparklers from Gruet. Perhaps they have improved since my last visit.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Lu
Original Poster

Thank you..would certainly be worth a stop..
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM

I would love a report upon your return. Much like Va. & NC, NM has just expanded into the business of making wines. Hopefully they have progressed as both Va. & NC have in that regard.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM

I've just been looking at a map of Albuquerque trying to find a hotel near where ds is living and I saw three wineries in the NW area:

San Felipe Winery
Anderson Valley Vineyard
Casa Rondana Winery

Maybe another poster will comment?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Gruet is IMO worth a stop; I enjoy their sparkling blanc de noirs, and they have several other sparkling wines plus Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, etc.

Casa Rondena - I've only had one of their white blends, which was OK - a little sweet for my taste. Their grounds are beautiful and it would be worth a stop.

Something a little off the beaten path is Anasazi Fields in Placitas, off I-25 just north of Albuquerque. They make dry fruit wines; I've tried a couple and liked them.

St. Clair Winery has a store and bistro on Rio Grande just south of I-40; I've tried their Mimbres Red which, again, is too sweet for me. Sweetness seems to be a trait a lot of New Mexico wines share.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Lu
Original Poster

This info will help, I hope to stop at couple of the winery's then will report back on our discoveries...we love bubbly so Gruet for sure. Thank you all....
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM

We visited St. Clair Winery when we were in ABQ last week. They were having a spring festival and offered a free wineglass, five generous tastings, and live music for $5 per person. As ElendiPickle said, the wines were a little on the sweet side, but we enjoyed their new Riesling they were serving. The food was also quite good.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Lu
Original Poster

Thank you Misty...I think I will mapquest these wineries from the airport and see how many we can make before we head on into Santa Fe. Thanks again
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM

I'd love a report on Gruet's vineyard and their tasting room. I have been doign a lot of business in ABQ the past yr. and usually go to Santa Fe for a few days on these trips. But last weekend I spent the whole work time in ABQ and loved the Nob Hill Area. I have yet another trip there in July and am thinking about staying at the Hyatt Tamaya resort, and maybe going to Gruet.
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Gruet doesn't have a vineyard in Albuquerque; I believe they get most of their grapes from southern New Mexico. Their winery and tasting room is off I-25 on the northbound frontage road between Paseo del Norte and Alameda. You've probably passed it many times on your way to Santa Fe.

When will you be here in July?

Lee Ann
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM

A stay at the Tamaya and a sip at Gruet -- sounds like a [great] plan to me.

Nob Hill is wonderful, have you seen my list of recommended ABQ restaurants? There are some for Bernalillo which is very close to Tamaya.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/565839

Deb
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Lee Ann, not sure exactly when in July- it depends on some scheduling that is out of my hands. But I will be back in ABQ then and will post back here when I know the dates. Maybe we can try out a place for dinner or a drink of Gruet and appetizers...