Sacramento-area "wine country"

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Linda

Sacramento-area "wine country"

Is there a new, up and coming wine country?
I'll be visiting in September.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:39 AM
gc

Check with UC Davis. They have one of the best schools of oenology in the country.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Suzie

You may be referring to the Sierra Foothill winery region which is easily accessible from Sacramento. The main types of wines produced from this area are Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Muscat, Semillon, Viognier, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Merlot, Syrah, Sangiovese, Barbera and Cabernet Franc.

When we were in Sonoma and tasted at Ravenswood I really enjoyed the Zin produced from grapes from their amador vineyard.
There are 3 different counties involved, Amador, El Dorado and Calavaras. In Amador there is a cluster of about 15 wineries off Highway 49 east of Plymouth and another 4 or 5 before you get to Plymouth. This area is quite nice during Sept. Here is a link to a map of this area: http://www.amadornet.net/travelers/maps/winerymap.html

The El Dorado map can be found here: http://www.visit-eldorado.com/wineries_map1.html

If you in fact mean something else let me know. There are wineries south of Sac like Lodi. Is that what you are interested in?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:36 PM
J Correa

I don't know about wineries in the area, but if anybody wants some really good beer, the Sacramento Brewing Co is the place to go.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:24 PM
kam

There are many wineries along route 49 which is the "Gold Country"--east of Sacramento. There are also little known wineries in the Santa Cruz Mountains but they are only open for tasting on certain weekends. Examples: Ridge, Bonny Doon, Fogarty.