Wine Country in 1 day

Search

Wine Country in 1 day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine Country in 1 day

Hi All, gettin married at the end of March and have booked some days in San Fran for our honeymoon. Would like to surprise my wife with a day in Wine Country, basically one day with hopes of touring a vinyard and maybe visiting a spa. Not sure if we should do dinner in wine country or possible in Sausalito on the return trip back to SF. Would appreciate any advise. Thanks 4 the Help
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:48 AM

My husband and I spent 3 days in SF last June. On our way to Napa Valley we stopped by Muir Woods (which is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area) offers acres of gorgeous redwood forest,trees that stand more than 240 feet tall and that are more than 1,000 years old. If you like to hike, I strongly recommend a visit. Was a very nice drive, we stopped for lunch along the way (sorry I can't remember the name, guess it didn't leave much of an impression on me) We stopped at Francis Ford Coppola vinyard, because of a detour we missed our reservation at another vinyard. I suggest you plan ahead and make reservations if theres one place in particular you would like to visit, tours often fill up. Hope this is of some help.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:59 AM

We have done Napa and Saualito in one day. Wine country isn't all that big if you're only doing one or the other (Napa vs. Sonoma). We visted and had lunch in Sausalito and hit several wineries in Napa.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Visited Napa Valley last spring for our 25th wedding anniversary. Toured Opus 1. You have to make a reservation but there were only 4 of us on the tour. Very impressive place. Make a right turn when you leave the winery and drive until you hit St. Helena. Tra Vigne Restaurant is just off the highway. Had a very nice lunch there.

I know this is not a romantic dinner, but Sausalito is home to one of the best hamburgers I have ever had. The name of the place is "Hamburgers". You will know it by the line snakeing down the sidewalk. You can sit in the bar next door and order.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Here's what I would do: Head north on 101 and go past Healdsburg to Chateau Souveraign. Have lunch in their wonderful cafe (sit by the big windows). Then head to the Dry Creek Wineries, starting with Ferrari Carano. Then visit as many of the area wineries that strike your fancy. Follow your map out Westside Rd to River Road and go through Guerneville to the Coast. Follow Highway 1 south and stop at the Bodega Bay Lodge for dinner in the Duck Club (make reservations). If possible stay over night here. They have a spa you can enjoy if you have time. Otherwise, head back into SF after dinner.

I think that would be a romantic and wonderful day.

www.wineroad.com
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Grasshopper, that sounds perfect. I may follow your advice on everything except the Bodega Bay Lodge. We have stayed there and I highly recommend it.

Wonderful plan!! ***kim***