Eureka Hotels and Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On about February 23 we will spend the night in Eureka on our way down the coast and would appreciate suggestions about where to stay and where to eat dinner.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I know this is repetitious, but if you haven't been to the Samoa Cookhouse, this might be a good occasion to try. In Samoa, across the bay from Eureka. Family-style (hearty) meals in a former mill mess hall, surrounded by cool logging paraphenalia and amazing photos of big men standing on enormous trees, things like that. Really fun.

As for where to stay, I've always found Eureka to be a bit of motel hell. I'd go with a major chain, and I'd probably suggest staying on the south end of town so that you can get away in the morning without struggling past shopping mall mayhem.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:50 AM

We have stayed in Eureka several times. The Carter House is a very nice inn/B&B (www.carterhouse.com.) It also has a very nice restaurant (a bit pricey). The Best Western south of town is nice. Also, have eaten dinner at The Sea Grill and lunch at the Brewery/Pub - both very good. Enjoy your stay!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Kal

Hey Chico! How'zit, gal?
Getting some rain up North?

We've stayed at the BW and it's nice.
We've also stayed at the charmingly old Eureka Inn. We'd stay there again.

Is the Sea Gril lthe little greassy spoon/hole in the wall down by the BW? If so, we had a very good meal there.

Ditto Samoa Cookhouse.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:29 PM
GP

Hi jimshep

I live "down" here in Eureka. Cross off the Eureka Inn it has closed down. Its future is uncertain at this time (Feb of 2004). The traffic is not that bad. My in-laws swear by the Holiday Inn Express on the north end of town. The Red Lion is a full service hotel with bar/restaurants on site. There are a surprising number of good places to eat for a backwater town. Hurricane Kates, the new Ritz, the sea grill, 301 (carter house), are all nice. The cookhouse is out of town across the bridge. Do not go there for the food.

By the way Kal if you are reading this the little hole in the wall by the boardwalk is not the sea grill, it is the waterfront. Do not tell anyone about that place it is where the locals go.

Have Fun
GP
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Message: Kal, so nice to hear from you. Yes, it is pouring up Chico way. We just returned from Maui last week (heaven), as I know you were just in Kaui. Reality is hard to take.
No, as above poster stated, The Sea Grill is a nice restaurant, not a hole in the wall. The Brew Pub's food was great - fun spot. Take care!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. You have been a big help.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Kal

Aloohaaa,
Memo to self: Buy the Old Eureka Inn when you hit the Big Lotto.

GP- mum's the word!

Chico-Reality is hard to take and sobriety is way overrated! Nice NoCal weather, yah?