Search

Window Displays - When Will They Come Down? And a few other ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Displays - When Will They Come Down? And a few other ?'s

Hi all,

Mom and I are taking a trip to NYC after Christmas (from the 28th thru Jan 2nd)...can't wait! We have not seen the incredible holiday window displays in years...but now I am just a bit worried, since we are going after the holiday...when are they usually taken down? Please tell me they will be up while we are there.

We are not too sure about heading to Times Sq. for New Years Eve - mom is convinced she will not be up much past midnight - lol. We are staying at the NY Helmsley - any suggestions for a nice celebration nearby?

Also, I heard the Russian Tea Room re-opened...has anyone been there recently?

Thanks for your responses.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Holiday decorations stay up til at least Jan. 6.

You need to tell us what kind of celebration you're looking for. A nice restaurant? Budget? Or are you looking for clubs?

Opentable.com is a rest. booking service that will give you an idea of some of the places open on that night. YOur hotel is in midtown east. If you're looking to really splash out, there are some dinner cruises that will get you close to the fireworks at the Statue of Liberty.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM

There is a lovely holiday tradition in NYC for New Year's Eve, the Annual Concert for Peace at St. John's the Divine. (110th and Amsterdam). The concert is free and is a wonderful way to start the New Year. This year Lauren Flanigan is the guest star, she often is part of this program. Harry Smith from CBS is the host. There is also a chorus, and lots of music

The concert is free or you can request reverved seating tickets for the event at the St John's website.

This year I will be singing with the chorus (redhead on the end of the soprano section).

The concert starts at 7pm and we are usually out by 9ish so you can head out to dinner.

If you are intersted please let me know and I can check on friends/family tickets.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM

our tradition was to keep Christmas displays up through Russian Christmas, January 7.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

I LOVE Fodors! Thank you all so much for your responses! mclaurie - we were thinking a nice dinner (not terribly expensive since we will be there for a week and hopefully doing alot of shopping!) But not on the low end either - something affordably classy. I will check out opentable, the dinner cruise would be a great idea also, however I am thinking, mom would really enjoy the concert. Maybe a dinner cruise on the 4th of July when we go back up? Thanks for the idea!

wantsomesun - the concert sounds wonderful! I am so excited and would love to take you up on your generous offer if possible, should I touch base with you through your profile? If that does not work out, thank you again and we will plan to get there early. If you are wondering who that strange woman - with a lovely older lady waving & grinning at you from the audience is - it's me!

mrwunrfl - thank you for the confirmation. I am glad we will have plenty of time to see them all.

Thanks again everyone, happy holidays!

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM

If you're going to the concert, you might want to stay uptown for dinner and then perhaps go to Central Park at midnight for the fireworks there. The Boat House in Central Park would be a nice place to eat.

Nice Matin is one restaurant on the upper west side (French) with a prix fixe dinner for $48/person (doesn't include tax, tip or drinks).
http://www.nicematinnyc.com/NYE06.pdf

The Neptune Room is another good restaurant on the upper west side that appears to be available for a late (10 pm) booking on the night. They specialize in seafood but also have other things and get good reviews on menupages.com Not set menu apparently.
http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=0&cuisineid=0

If you'd rather be back near your hotel, there are some options in midtown east on opentable including Amma which has good Indian.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM

You and your mom are much better off staying away from Time Square on New Years Eve. It is a huge mass (usually over a million) people packed into a small place for many hours waiting for something you can see much more easily on TV. For college students - an interesting experience. For adults - esp anyone older - sheer torture. Never mind that the weather is usually damp and windy and often bitterly cold.

If it's a nice night and you want to do something outdoors the fireworks in Central Park are easily accessible and don;t require an 8 hour wait.

You've been given some good restaurant ideas. If you let us have budget and cuisine people can make others. Or check opentable to see who's having what type of dinner/party that night.