Williamsburg, Virginia with kids SOS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Williamsburg, Virginia parents with 6 and 10 year old children. Where is the best place to stay? (We are looking for a resort or a very special place.) How many days do we need to enjoy/see the entire area? What is the best location/most central? THANK YOU!!!

Sandy
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:45 AM

The very best place is the Williamsburg Inn. especially with kids. They offer a menu (among many other menus) with an authentic period fare, and the staff is dressed for the period- 1700's if I remember correctly. It's right there in Williamsburg. I would think 2 days, would give ample time to see everything there, if the kids are participating in some of the many hands-on activities they offer, then another day or two. Depends on how interested the kids would be in experencing different applications to the old-way-of-doing-thing are.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM

We stayed in one of the hotels in the CW area (can't remember the name to save my soul right now....), and it was nice being right there. Easy walk or bus ride to the places we wanted to go. My kids were older - 12 and 14.

With kids that age you don't want to overdo it...but you need a day for Jamestown (they will like the part that has been "recreated"). We spent a day at Yorktown, but my DH is a big military history buff so we drove thru the whole battlefield PLUS did the museum. So = that might be too much for your kids (altho the cannon demonstration was cool!).

As for CW, I would allow 2 days. There is a lot to see and some thing that the younger kids would really enjoy (mine were borderline for some stuff). My kids really liked the re-enactment performances that they do each day - telling the story of things leading up to and to the end of the Revolutionary War. I didn't think they were getting anything out of it - but they said it was one of the highlights.

Oh - I think we stayed at the Williamsburg Lodge. Had 2 rooms - one for us and one for kids and MIL.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM

My kids are 9 and 11. We had a great trip to Williamsburg. I suggest staying at the Williamsburg Inn. 2 days for touring Colonial Williamsburg- dine at one of the Inns and do a night tour. 1 day for Jamestown and Jamestown Settlement, 1 day for Yorktown and exploring the area.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
They don't dress in period clothes at the Inn.
Look at Kingsmill Resort. Shuttles to Busch Gardens, Water Country, and CW. Indoor and outdoor pools. Kids Kamp. Play equipment outside. Lovely open grounds outside. Golf, tennis etc.
Everything in Williamsburg is central. It's a small town.
What time of year are you planning to visit?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:08 AM

we stopped at Great Wolf Lodge for directions... and this is one place i would not stay UNLESS I HAD KIDS. it is truly unique from the outside.. and full of activities for kids.

very busy in august.
check it out.

your kids will love it.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Although I have never been to the Great Wolf Lodge, if I still had young kids and if I were looking for a "resort or a very special place", this is where I'd take my kids. Just two words say it all...Indoor Waterpark.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM

The negative to Indoor Waterpark is that your kids would never want to leave to explore our area. Great Wolf Lodge is wonderful in the bleak days of January but I'd go to the Inn / Lodge or Kingsmill. While you're here, be sure to take in a morning at Kidsburg. Your 6 yr old will be very happy - it's a wonderful playground that was created jointly by parents and some sort of local govt. Kids love it - including mine. Be sure to visit the Benjamin Powell house in Colonial Williamsburg - it is very hands-on and focuses on kids in the 18th century. Great Hopes Plantation is also fun for them - it is in Colonial Williamsburg. And if the Wigmaker is back open, don't miss it! Have fun!