Colonial Williamsburg Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to Colonial Williamsburg right after Halloween for a two night getaway with our two boys, ages 4 and 6. What are the most age-appropriate buildings, programs, or attractions for them at CW? Should we plan to spend one of the three days at Yorktown or Jamestown? Lunch is usually the "sit down" meal for us when traveling, so where do you suggest we eat? Any especially kid-friendly places to stay?
Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Laura
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 08:15 AM

I think your boys would prefer Jamestown to Yorktown. There is a lot of stuff for them to see/do there.

Can't help you with the other stuff as my boys were much older when we went.

Have fun!
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM

While I am a fan of the "actual" sites of Jamestown and Yorktown which are administered by the National Park Service, they would probably be pretty boring for kids the ages of yours. Instead, you might want to look at the Jamestown Settlement and/or Yorktown Victory Center which are administered by an agent of the state of Virginia. I have not been to either place, but have heard very good things about the Jamestown Settlement, particularly for kids. They have costumed people, replica ships you can board, a fort, etc. Check out their website at www.historyisfun.org for more details.
As for what to do with kids at CW, go to their webiste: www.history.org and click on "Visit". About halfway down the page is a link to "Kids Programs" and it will give you a lot of ideas of things to see and do with your children.
If you want to eat lunch near CW with your children, there are some restaurants in Merchants Square at the end of CW near the College of William and Mary which would be fine with children. The taverns at CW are also geared for children.
For the ultimate in child-friendly places to stay, you might want to look at Great Wolf Lodge. It has an indoor waterpark, so you might never get the kids out to CW or Jamestown.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks, longhorn55.....the Jamestown Settlement is what I was thinking about. I think kids that age would enjoy it. The Yorktown Victory Center - to me - was aimed at an older crowd. My kids liked it, but they were 13 and 15 at the time.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

I visited the historyisfun site, and yep, that looks like our cup of tea. The ships, especially, will be a hit as both kids like to be pirates in their spare time. Thanks for the dining and lodging suggestions, too. I'm working on the lodging right now, and will let you know what I end up with. I am also planning to let the kids rent the colonial costumes at CW as I think they may get more into it if they dress for it. Thanks for the help, and I'll take more suggestions if anyone has any!
Laura