Reload this Page >

Williamsburg, Virginia

Search

Williamsburg, Virginia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 1999, 08:55 PM
Michael

Williamsburg, Virginia

Looking for a quiet, romantic, secluded part of the East Coast we were told Williamsburg has a lot to offer. Looking for recommendations.

Old Apr 4th, 1999, 10:40 PM
Polly

Williamsburg does have a lot to offer, but so does Cape May, NJ. For romance, I'd head there. Not in my wildest fantasies would I consider W'burg secluded though others might know some secret spots.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 09:37 AM
marilyn

Can't think who would characterize Williamsburg as "secluded": I think Colonial Williamsburg gets almost as many visitors as Disney World.

That said, however, you could splurge and get a colonial house through the Williamsburg Inn for the weekend. You stay right in the historical area in a private accomodation, and in the morning and late night when all the other tourists have gone home, you feel you are almost alone in another century. You get to use all the Inn facilities, too, and they have one of the swankiest pools I've ever seen.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 09:44 AM
Diane

There are charming, secluded and very romantic B&Bs in the Charlottesville, VA area. I like it much better than Williamsburg. Monticello and the U of Virginia are interesting to visit. There are also wineries.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Consider Duck, N.C. if you like the beach. It's one of the northern most towns on the Outer Banks, is very quaint and I've heard that there are nice B&B's there (it's worlds apart from its very commercial neighbor, Nags Head). It's a short drive from the Norfolk airport.

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 06:27 AM
Joanne

I would also recommend Cape May, NJ. Its touristy during the summer, though. The best time to go is September. Most of the crowds have left but the town still thrives beyond Christmas time. Check out this web site for vacation rental by owner information. There are some listings (mine) in Cape May as well as other areas along the Jersey shore. http://www.vrbo.com

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Helen

The Williamsburg Sampler Bed and Breakfast Inn is the finest 18th century platation style 3 story brick colonial in the historid Colonial Williamsburg area. Their website www.WilliamsburgSampler.com should be reviewed for more details. This Virginia's Governor's only proclaimend INN OF THE YEAR is well worth the review.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:02 PM
cheri

I don't know how far north you're willing to go but Nantucket gets my vote, especially if you go after Labor day. Stay in Sconset at the Summer House or the Wauwinet. Bothare charming, romantic and secluded albeit very expensive. There are also many less expensive yet very beautiful Inns and B&B's in town. It's my favorite place in the world. Also, IMO Cape May is not very nice at all. Just my opinion!