Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What Are Fun Things to Do With Grandchild Around N. Andover, Mass - 2 hour radius??

Search

What Are Fun Things to Do With Grandchild Around N. Andover, Mass - 2 hour radius??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Bonnie

Will be visiting my 3-1/2 yr old granddaughter in July in N. Andover, may take an overnight somewhere. What are fun things to do with little ones in that area?

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Penny

Bonnie,

There are certainly many things in the area--if you're talking 2-hour radius, you've got all of Boston and Cambridge, which includes the Children's Museum, the New England Aquarium, the Swan Boats and duckling statues in the Public Garden. One of our favorite things to do with young children, however, was to drive to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It's just over the NH border--you'd have to get to I-95 and go north. Maybe it would take you an hour or an hour and a quarter. Portsmouth has a wonderful, small children's museum in an old Victorian house. It's easily managed by a preschooler--not so overstimulating and overwhelming as the Boston museum can be (for old and young alike). See the Web site at http://www.childrens-museum.org/index.cfm. There's a huge slide/play structure designed like a yellow submarine, a lobster boat with gear to wear, an old post office, etc. Portsmouth itself is a fun city to visit--you might enjoy the old-fashioned look and feel. You could then have a picnic in the park, or take a harbor cruise.

We used to go once or twice a year when our kids were little--it made a great family excursion.

Have a great time!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Bonnie

So at this museum in N.H., they can actually play on this slide structure? My granddaughter LOVES to do playground stuff - loves children's museums, etc. That may be just the thing to do with her. Thanks for you suggestion!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Penny

Yes--it's really a great play structure. And there are comfortable chairs for adults to sit in while the kids play on it.

You might also want to consider the Hammond Castle Museum, in Gloucester, Mass., http://www.hammondcastle.org/. Your granddaughter might be a bit young, but you'll probably enjoy it, and she'd have fun running around in it.

As I think of more stuff, I'll post it.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 04:19 PM
gail

I actually live very close to this area. Of course, as previously posted, there is all of Boston and Cambridge - but try to think like a 3 year old. She probably would most like to do very simple things with grandparent(s). Playgrounds are fine. An afternoon at the beach is even better. I would guess that her parents have taken her to many of the age-appropriate things around her home and she would just love to "show" them to you. There is a "Butterfly Place" in Westford, MA. (About 20 minutes). Think small - you will both be better off with simple things where y ou can spend time together.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 04:27 PM
bb

In Acton Massachusetts there is a small children's museum/science museum on Rt 20 in the town. The front "house" is geared to smaller children, the larger back "house" is the science discovery museum. Lots of hands on in both. Climbing the dinosaur out front, etc. Just the right size for your granddaughter. Look for the dinosaur in front of the Victorian house and you've found it!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Beth

Another vote for the Butterfly museum; just know it's very low key. They run children's theatre at the Northshore Music Theatre in Beverly. Also a very nice magic show at the Cabot Theatre in Beverly; only one show per weekend though. If you go to the beach, I recommend Wallis Sands in Rye: bathrooms, snack bar, showers. Also in Rye are the Fuller Gardens; looks like "THe Secret Garden," small and very cheap. Also reasonable and low key is the Seacoast Science Center in Rye. Go inside for a safe close up look at a tide pool, or actually do the real thing outside. Also nice paths along the water for "hiking." A very fun "overnight" would be in Glen, NH (just north of No. Conway) for Story Land. A nice and reasonable hotel nearby is The Lodge. If you buy your Story Land ticket after 4m, it includes the next day admission. She could see all the nursery rhyme playgound activities the first afternoon, and go back early the next day for some rides. (Cinderella and her castle, Bo-peep's sheep, Old woman in the shoe, couple water rides, Carousel, etc.) I'll check back if you have any other questions. You are grandparents after my own heart!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Beth

P.S. If you do go up to No. Conway area, that is where the Wooden Soldier outlet is. Ever seen those catalogs? So much fun with a little girl!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 07:46 PM
gail

Wow! I had no idea there were so many things to do there with children, You may feel you have more than enough advice, but if not I would call the local Resource Agency in Lawrence called Circuits and ask them about any ideas they have. They are a wonderful community support and no doubt would have some great ideas too!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Bonnie

I just came in from a concert and found all these wonderful suggestions. Thank you all so much. I really like the Story Land idea, as well as the museums and other suggestions. If anyone else thinks of something more, please post! Thanks again! Bonnie

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 03:54 AM
B

Check related posts on Salem and Portsmouth

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Sara

bb's suggestion a few posts back about the Children's Museum and Science Discovery Museum in Acton is a good one, but I have a correction. They are on Route 27, not Route 20, which is also called Main Street in Acton.
Your granddaughter might also enjoy a visit to the Drumlin Farm Wildlife Sanctuary on Route 117 (or South Great Road) in Lincoln. This is a nature center run by the Mass. Audobon Society which includes a farm with lots of farm animals such as sheep, cows, pigs, chickens, horses, and goats. You can watch cows being milked and chickens hatching. There are lovely nature trails to explore, and I believe there's a hay ride. They have some other animals there as well, such as hawks, eagles, and other impressive birds. A lot of what they have there is geared for children. They have educational programs too, you could contact the Mass. Audobon Society to find out if any fun programs for preschoolers are being offered.