Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will Staying in Green River be close enough to Arches State Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2 week trip through Colorado was suppose to end at Moab. Just found out that hotels in Moab are booked for Sept., so we need an alternative place to stay so we can enjoy the parks that are near Moab. I see the town of Green River has rooms but I am not sure if it is close enough to what we want to see in the Moab area. Can anyone tell me if it's a good place to stay or is there another town closer we should book rooms? We have 3 days to do this. Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Hi Froggy,

With all the motels in Moab, plus condos and B&Bs I can't believe everything is full! Are you just checking the major chains, or have you looked on the Moab web sites for additional options?

IMO, Green River is not close enough to visit the parks. It's a hour drive one way.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle: I should have added that the hotels/motels that we would have liked to stay at are booked. I had wanted to stay at the BW Canyonland and it's booked. I looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and saw the few that were available did not get good reviews. I guess it's better to take my chances with an iffy review than drive all the way from Green River. Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Froggy,

I just booked my favorite B&B for Labor Day weekend a couple weeks ago. They only have 6 rooms, but did have one available at that time.

The Canyonlands Best Western gets booked up far in advance because all the tour buses go there and because it's part of a major chain.

The motels in Moab are just what you would expect, budget tourist motels for the most part. Remember, you aren't going there for the motel, but the parks. As long as it's clean......
I wouldn't live and die by TripAdvisor.

Again, google Moab, UT and check out some of the listings there. There are two nice places outside of town in opposite directions along the river, Sorrel River Ranch and Red Cliffs Lodge if you want something fancier.

I know of 3 B&Bs that are very nice: The Dreamkeeper Inn, The Sunflower Inn, and Calle Cochita on the same street as the Dreamkeeper. Both are within a 2 block walk to Main St and the restaurants. The Gonzo Inn is another good place.

good luck!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Dayle: Thanks for the advice on B&B's. I hadn't thought of staying at one. Which is the one you booked for Labor Day?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:40 AM
TheWeasel

Green River would be OK for the first night, depending on when you're getting there. I'd say if you plan on getting there in the evening, then stay in Green River that night. Next day you can visit Dead Horse Point SP and the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands and head to Moab after that. That would save a bit of backtracking from Moab, but otherwise Moab is definitely your better option even if you stay somewhere that doesn't get superb reviews.

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM

We stayed at the Aarchway Inn in Moab - I would recommend that. Right next door is the Holiday Inn Express - from what I understood on here a few years ago, that is a good place, too.

I think you should check around Moab a bit first...
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Froggy,

If I'm not camping, I stay at the Dreamkeeper Inn. Wonderful place, fabulous breakfasts, lovely huge backyard with pool, hot tub, green lawn, and giant shade trees.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. After doing some more checking at the Discover Moab site, I did find available rooms at the Aarchway and Holiday Inn Express at good internet rates. As long as it's clean, it will be fine. After all it's the state parks we'll be visiting and not the hotels. Thanks again!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Now you're on the right track Froggy. I think the Archway Inn is slightly nicer than the Holiday Inn Express (which I've stayed at). But, it's just a bit further out of town. No big deal.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM
TAW

we stayed at the Aarchway and loved it...it's not right in town but on the end closest to Arches NP. Enjoy you trip and if you have time try to go to Deadhorse State Park - beautiful!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Froggy,
Be sure to check out the River Canyon Lodge in Moab. It's only a few years old, very reasonably priced and the location is a block off Main St (quiet) and very close to BW Canyonlands. It was clean, has pool and hottub too. Although, if you can get rooms at the Dreamkeeper, go for it!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Glad to see you've changed your mind and are staying in Moab. You will be so glad you did! Moab is a much nicer town than Green River. No matter where you stay in Green River you would hear the trains all night.

Utahtea