Will Pink Jeep tours be hard on my back?

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Pink Jeep tours be hard on my back?

We will be in Sedona for 3 days in December and want to do the 3-hour Broken Arrow and Scenic Rim combo with Pink Jeep. My husband and I are in our late 50's and don't have a back problem. But we are gettin old, things don't heal as easily as they used to.

Pat
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:21 AM

We opted for the Scenic Rim due to my sister's foot problems (she was concerned about bracing her foot on the hills of Broken Arrow). No problems.

If you have back problems already, I'd say "no" to the Broken Arrow part of it, but if you don't have a back problem, I'd say "no problem".
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM

While I haven't participated in these actual tours, when I do 'jeep' type tours that could be bouncy, etc I bring one of those small square stadium style cushions with me, or one of the 'blow up' ones for easier travel (on the idea of the donut seat, but solid square) - sitting on it helps to cushion the bumps - I use to always bring one for my mom when she was older, as she was "bony" if that makes sense and it cushioned her and made the ride more comfortable - just thought I'd pass the idea along.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Pat_Rick~ I took one a few years ago and didn't have any back trouble.. the bumpiness was minimal, and I r remember the incline as the jeep climbed up the big rocks, plus a little "drive around the rock fast and give the group a little cardiac fun" once we reached the top..
** the views were amazing and the vistas were beautiful.. J.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Everyone in our group who took the Jeep tours complained of aches in the tush; wished (in hindsight) they had a cushion to take with them.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I told my travel buddy with severe back and arthritis problems not to go on the Pink Jeep tour with me. Since I was a "single" I got the front passenger seat! The others ride in the back and it sounds like the cushion isn't very well padded. Our driver drove carefully. A good driver doesn't want to beat his passengers or his vehicle. But keep in mind I drive daily on a bumpy dirt road. You won't be doing any extreme rock crawling. You may get a good bump coming down off a rocky outcropping but it will be at slow speed. I've heard of people throwing their back out just reaching down for a piece of paper they've dropped. If you haven't had previous back problems you should be fine. Last year my 55+ yo old husband modified a jeep and loves off-roading.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:35 AM

If you go on the Broken Arrow ride, definitely sit in the front. We sat in the very back seat and if we hadn't had our seatbelts on, we would have landed outside the jeep a couple of times. There were some people much older than you with us and they seemed to enjoy it. We're usually pretty wary of tourist traps, so we were surprised at how much fun we had on the tour.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will bring a couple of Dodger game cushions with us for the tour, I think we will sign up for the Broken Arrow and Scenic Rim combo tour. I am afraid of height, is that going to be a problem for me?

My sister-in-law and her boy friend will be in Sedona with us and she has a back problem. Do I understand correctly that the Scenic Rim tour is a much smoother ride? Should she sign up for the Scenic Rim tour or that is risky for her too?

Pat
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I don't know about others, but I don't want to sit on a plastic stadium seat that is slipping and sliding on plastic jeep seats. Seems like it would cause more problems than prevent them.

Yes, the Scenic Rim tour is much smoother than the Broken Arrow tour (but "smooth" is still relative)

Have you looked at the info on the website to get an idea of the different tours?

Regarding your SIL, it depends on the severity of her back problem. We couldn't possibly answer that question. You are riding on a road, but there are a lot of small bumps.

No, you should not have a problem with a fear of heights.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Suerich68

We took the Pink Jeep tour several years ago, and I found it to be very rough. I would not do it with any kind of back problem.

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM

WHICH Pink Jeep tour, Sue? They vary widely. Truly, they do.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Personally I never had the problem of my stadium cushion sliding out from under me, and it does cushion the bumps - I suppose if you were worried about it , and didn't want to hold one end of it if you needed to with your hand, - perhaps there in lies yet another use for duct tape -a sure fire way to 'fasten' the bottom to the seat !!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great!

I will not recommend the jeep ride to my sister-in-law. Who knows, she could hurt herself two months later and blame it on the pink jeep.

I can just picture myself duct tape the cushion to my bottom, a new fashion statement...;-)

Pat
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM

no pat no, don't duct tape the cushion to YOUR bottom, duct tape it to the seat
but really, I never had problems using a stadium type cushion, it stayed fairly put. have fun !
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Must be because I have plenty of "natural" padding
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

I booked it!!! The three hour Broken Arror/Scenic Rim. Booked the last tour of the day, in December it is at 2pm. We even received a 10% discount because we will be staying at the Best Western Arroyo Roble and Pink Jeep has a contract with the BW. We asked for an additional Good Guy discount, but they said no!!!!

Thank you all for your help, you are the best.

Pat