Notices

Wild Horse Viewing

Old Mar 17th, 2017, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wild Horse Viewing

Any wild horse enthusiasts out here in FODORland?
We are planning a June trip out west with our exchange students. This year we have been watching the
Canadian TV series 'Heartland' that revolves around a wild horse herd. So we really want to see the wild horses. Will likely fly in to Vegas and rent an RV. Planning on a 7 to 10 day excursion. We would be glad to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle, or go on an organized tour, Just want to be sure to see the horses!
Our original thought is to go to Utah, for the parks,canyons and rafting, but would consider another state.Because the horses are top priority. Just cant seem to figure out where to go, too much info on the web!!!!
THANK YOU,
Becky, South Carolina
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 03:43 PM

There are wild horse herds in both Theodore Roosevelt National Park (ND) & near Custer State Park/Hot Springs (SD). Custer State Park is within the Black Hills of South Dakota with many activities/scenery/Mt Rushmore - North Dakota area is smaller venue near the cowboy/tourist town of Medora - more of a weekend excursion, about 5 hour drive North of Black Hills.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Although I haven't been there, I've heard that one of the most reliable places to see wild horses is near Green River, Wyoming.
https://www.tourwyoming.com/explore/...ld-horses.html

Also rafting there, on the Green River appropriately enough, through the Gates of Lodore in Dinosaur National Monument.

For that you might want to fly into Salt Lake City instead of Vegas. Good luck.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 05:07 PM

There is a large herd of wild horses near Grand Junction in western Colorado. We only got skunked once out of more than a dozen trips. Used to go Memorial Day Saturday or Sunday and once in fall. Four wheel drive is necessary and rental companies might not allow off roading. Google Bookcliff Wild Horses. We have also seen in vicinity of Baggs WY. Salt Lake City would be the airport for either of these.Check the BLM site. I think they are the wild horse agency.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 05:21 PM

Been thinking more about your question. I really don't think the Grand Junction herd would be right one for you. Although it isn't a true 4wheel drive road it wouldn't be good for a beginner. I have never heard of any tours.

Please don't set your expectations too high. Wild horses are not always where they are supposed to be. But if you do see them it is thrilling.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 05:33 PM

We have a herd come by our house with some regularity. Thing is you can't count on them coming by. They come when they come, and I should think that holds true for all locations. Good luck !
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 02:59 PM

You may have to google places. I think the BLM, wild horse agencies, etc. don't like to publicize herd locations. They have had incidents of people going out and shooting the horses and leaving them to die of their injuries.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 03:48 PM

We saw them in Canyonlands in Utah ten years ago. The damn things wouldn't get out of the road. They weren't particularly noble looking, either. This was in late September or early October. I don't know if time of year makes a difference.

Good luck!
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 05:04 PM

We saw a herd on a float trip down the Colorado out of Page, AZ. The guide wasn't particularly surprised to see them but I doubt there's a wild horse sighting guarantee if you book the trip lol.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 01:32 AM

CORRECTION

MY wild horses were in Arches rather than Canyonlands. Still in Utah. Sorry.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 11:40 AM

My wife and I have seen wild horses at a few places throughout the West ( little bookcliffs near grand junction, co; green river near Rock City, wy; and pryor mountains near Lovell, wy). We saw horses at each location, but hands down the pryor mountains was the best trip. We did a guided tour arranged through the Pryor Mountain wild mustang center and it was a great day. Saw >50 horses on top of Pryor mountain after a 2 hour jeep ride up the mountain. My wife grew up reading about Cloud and the Pryor Mountain horses, so this was a bucket list trip for her, and it did not disappoint.