Reload this Page >

Wigwam Resort Phoenix, Arizona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Rebel

Anyone ever stayed here before? If so, thoughts on it. Is this an all-inclusive resort which includes meals, drinks and other amenities? How are the restaurants in this resort?

Thanks
Reb York

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 03:19 PM
x

The restaurants are great. Don't know about the all-inclusive details. It's kind of far from the typical tourist things in Phx. People usually go and stay at the resort for the whole vacation.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:24 PM
sss

I have stayed there and it was 3 years ago. It was a very nice resort. my thoughts were that i would not recommened it for familys with children, and I don't think they have an AI program.

They are going thru a renovation stage and just finished the 1st phase. Look on the Arizona Tourist Board web sight, Or call the hotel. Like i said i really liked it and would go back anytime.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:03 AM
cc

One of only two wigwam villages left standing. The other is in Cave City, Ky near Mammoth Cave.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:40 AM
kkj

CC, What are you talking about it being one of only two Wigwam Villages standing? Could you explain? The resort was built to house workers at the nearby Goodyear plant. How could that be connected to Cave City, Kentucky?

Rebel -- I don't believe that the Wigwam is an all-inclusive resort. You might want to check their website for this information. I just did. They have several restaurants. They offer packages that include some meals. I saw nothing mentioned about drinks.

The web site also contains information on the history of the resort, which has nothing to do with wigwams or Native Americans.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:53 AM
CC

KKJ...

I didn't know there was an actual Wigwam resort. Here is an excert from www.roadsideamerica.com about what I'm refering to...CC

Sleep in a Wigwam," the sign promises. And you won't be disappointed. This Wigwam Village Motel is one of a very few surviving "teepee-style" motels from Tourism's Golden Era. It was the first, built in 1937 by Frank A. Redford, who found his inspiration in authentic Sioux Reservation teepees and ice cream cone-shaped buildings popping up along highways.

Fourteen wigwam units are arrayed in a semicircle, facing the a larger gift shop and guest registration teepee. Steam Heat, tile baths, cable TV, large playground, picnic tables and grills, no pets allowed.

The Wigwam Village Motel in Holbrook, AZ, a decrepit mess in the early 1980s, was refurbished around 1988. Cable TV in each room — wake up to the Weather Channel! Cozy but comfortable.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Been there

CC,

The Wigwam Resort outside of Phoenix is world famous. If you would re-read the original header, Rebel is specifically asking about this resort, not a teepee.

Been there

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:06 PM
cc

I didn't realize that "Been There". Many people on this forum will call a hotel a resort and a resort a hotel. My mistake

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:22 AM
Rebel

Thanks everyone. We will be staying there at the end of the year. It sounds like a nice place. How far is it to downtown and the airport?

Thanks
Rebel