White Mountains

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:20 PM
Richard

White Mountains

Hi, my wife and I (mid-30s, no kids) plan to spend a few days in the White Mountains area in a couple of weeks.

I'm hoping some folks can offer advice on a nice place to stay preferably 90 minutes to 2 hours from the Manchester airport, then maybe somewhere a little further out for the remaining days.

We looked at the Mount Washington resort, but at $330 a night, it's way out of my price range.

Thanks for any tips!

Richard

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:29 AM
Donna F

Include the Lakes Region in your search for a place to stay. The mountains are close enough so you can enjoy hikes etc but there are more places to stay and eat around Lake Winnipesaukee. North of the mountains may be too far out for you. Friends have enjoyed the Inn at Mill Falls in Meredith which is right across the street from the lake. There is a summer theater at the high school plus another one in Tamworth. Have a great trip.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Donna

You may want to consider The Lodge at Bretton Woods, which is across the road and overlooks the Mount Washington Hotel. It's part of their "complex", so staying there entitles you to all the ammenties and facilities at the main hotel. Dining and dancing to the orchestra in the ballroom could not be more romantic, especially with cocktails on the wrap around porch as the sun sets, or after dinner in the moonlight (you must make dinner reservations in advance). There's terrific live jazz in The Cave downstairs. There's the modest, economical Above the Notch Motor Inn (there's a website) practically next door to the Mount Washington Hotel. Basic rooms, meticulous housekeeping, low rates. Bretton Woods/Crawford Notch is one of the most beautiful spots in the White Mountains. It's just about a two hour drive from the Manchester airport, and is an excellent basepoint for driving all over the White Mountains during the day. There are scenic routes (Kangamangus Highway, Route 2, Route 302, even I-93) in every direction. Unless you want to do some outlet shopping (there is no sales tax in NH!), get a good map and find West Side Road to avoid the Route 16 traffic in North Conway. Better to visit the outlets in Tilton, right on I-93, on your way back to the airport. Another fabulous dining destination is the Sunset Hill House (see website) just a 30 minute drive from Bretton Woods. The cuisine is fabulous and the sunset views over the White Mountains are positively breathtaking.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:18 AM
BTilke

Take a look at Snowvillage Inn, in Snowville, a village close to the Conway, but a world away in atmosphere. It's wonderfully peaceful with fantastic views and very good food. Check out their web site, www.snowvillageinn.com to see if it suits your requirements. (The most straightforward way to get there is head up 93 to the Lincoln exit and head over Kancamagus Highway to Conway, then follow signs to Snowville).

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:00 PM
gc

What do you have in mind to do? There are opportunities from fly tieing to theartre.

Help us so we can help you.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Richard

Greetings, thanks for the tips so far.

We were thinking about the Colonel Spencer Inn in Campton as a stopping over point on the way to North Conway... Anyone familiar with it?

Basically, what I'm really looking for are places to stay about an hour north of Manchester. We get in to the airport fairly late, and I don't really want to drive very far the first night. (Preferably something in the $100 a night range.)

Thanks again,
Richard

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Donna F

Richard, check your map. If you drive as far as Campton, you might as well go to N Conway. If you just want a place for the night, stay in Manchester or Concord near the highway. Concord is far less congested than Manchester. Sleep late, have a nice breakfast and you still have plenty of time before you can check into your next hotel. You could even go canoing. There are several places that rent canoes in the Concord area. Visit Shaker Village. Visit the Flume. Stop at Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee. Have lunch at the Tamarack drive in. I'm guessing check in time might not be til 3pm.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Sandra

Richard,
I don't know of that Inn in Campton but I do think that Campton sounds like a good place to stop if you plan on going over to No. Conway via the Kancamagus Highway. The Kanc is very scenic but another very scenic route would be to continue up 93/3 through Franconia NOtch and follow route 3 to 302 and follow 302 through Crawford Notch over towards Bartlett and down to North Conway.

Not sure if you're looking for scenic drives or to get out and hike but there are numerous places on both the Kanc and route 302 to get out and explore the scenic areas.
Enjoy your visit - I just love the White Mountains....

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:01 AM
gc

Richard,

There is construction on I93 right now south of Campton. If you're going to be tired, you might want to stop south of there, in Tilton, Ashland or Plymouth.

Or, keep going north to Lincoln/Woodstock.

The drive times

Manchester to Lincoln/Woodstock 75-90 mins.
Manchester to Plymouth 60-75 mins
Manchester to Tilton 35-45 mins

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Lynn

Richard,
The Christmas Farm Inn and the Red Jacket are good choices. Both have web sites.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:18 PM
dylan

If you decide to stay in North Conway area - a great place is the Forest Inn in Intervale (5 mins from the village of N. Conway) it's a terrific bed & breakfast - the breakfasts are delicious and the owners very are friendly. I highly recommend it (been there twice).